Leave the Records Alone, Dammit!

If 2010 has a theme, it would seem to be record-breaking. First, there was  Snowmageddon / Snowpocalypse / snOMG, which gave us more of the white stuff in one winter than we’d seen in a century. Then, in April, unseasonably warm temperatures got a few new dates marked down in the books. And just to make sure one season doesn’t go by without offering a notable weather phenomenon, we’re on the verge (literally, within one degree) of breaking DC’s summer heat record, too. Loooovely.

I know I am not the first to say this, and I will not be the last: This extreme, record-breaking weather is for the birds. I was out of town last week, and thoroughly enjoyed the breezy, sunny, mid-70s weather in Upstate New York. It’s my understanding it was similar here in DC, if perhaps slightly warmer. Why can’t we have more of that? I mean, if weather records must be broken, can’t we shatter the tally for the most sequential days of awesome perfection?

Just for a change of pace, y’know?

Sun Trust Sez: 109
Though the thermometer at the Dupont Circle is always wildly inaccurate, 109 looks pretty damned impressive. (It was actually about 100 degrees at the time, according to the Weather Channel.)

11 thoughts on “Leave the Records Alone, Dammit!

1. Sionna July 6, 2010 / 9:28 pm

And just after you left the balmy New York State, we started our own heat wave. It got up to about 95 here today with ridiculous humidity to add insult to injury.

It’s so bad that they had to close Little Sionna’s day camp today and tomorrow by 1pm because there is no air conditioning in the building. Uggg!

2. Joanne July 6, 2010 / 9:46 pm

It is wretchedly miserable, with this heat. I don’t even want to leave my house tomorrow. This is f’ing ridiculous. (Sorry, Mom, for the cursing!)

3. Mom July 6, 2010 / 10:09 pm

It’s ok Joanne!! This weather even has me using that *word* :). The outdoor temp gauge registered 118.8 on my deck yesterday and -yes- I know that was in the sun but so were a lot of things!! Sweetpea threaded the good needle on her trip to the ‘north country’. Do you girls suppose it is HER fault, leaving and all, that caused the weather to change?

4. common loon July 6, 2010 / 10:50 pm

Our newsfolk here said that when polled, those living in D.C. preferred snowmageddon 2010 to the current heat. Then others commented that if the poll were taken during winter the answer would likely switch. So which is it?

And as a small bright spot / aside, at least you’re not in your last trimester, or living in a place where the weather is ALWAYS just like it currently is in D.C. this week. Oh yeah, best not to mess with a pregnant lady! :0

5. Eileen July 7, 2010 / 8:09 am

Thanks Loon! I find all the weather whining kind of humorous. Too cold, too hot, too snowy, too rainy. Can’t we just be happy we have homes and offices with heat and AC and suck it up a bit?!

6. common loon July 7, 2010 / 11:23 am

Susan & I have a deal: when all we can discuss is the weather, then we’re officially old.

Discussing A/C efficiency or home projects does NOT count as weather, however.

7. Mom July 7, 2010 / 1:06 pm

Correction Ladies. You are OFFICIALLY old when all you do is discuss your ailments. 🙂

8. common loon July 7, 2010 / 5:24 pm

So I’ve got this pain in my neck…or was it my ass? 🙂

9. susan July 7, 2010 / 5:25 pm

Too funny @CL…that’s why I didnt comment…this is a little close to cranky-old-whining.

@Mom…though it’s good to know we’re not OFFICIALLY old when we do it :-)….and BTW guess who’s going to see the LION KING this weekend…staying right in Times Square?? 🙂 Thanks!

10. Mom July 7, 2010 / 7:39 pm

@ Susan — and All — have a FABULOUS time; there is nothing like Broadway (for a visit)!! Give my regards…… (I do hope you remember THE song and I am not giving away my age — again !!)