Tired

I’m feeling grateful these days that, even though I renamed the blog after myself, Eileen has been stepping up to the plate and keeping things going lately, because my sad, dying thyroid gland has been kicking my ass. I am both disappointed and amazed by this, truth be told. I think the reason for the dismay is fairly obvious – perpetual exhaustion is fairly crappy – but the surprise comes from realizing how quickly and thoroughly I had adapted to not feeling like shit all the time, even though I sorta new this day was coming. (The early stages of Hashimoto’s requires frequent medication adjustments for most people, as their thyroid function peters out.)

On the bright side, I caught it a lot faster now that I know what to look for; it took only two consecutive weekends where I could hardly get off the couch for the lightbulb to go off. The (significantly) less bright side, however, is the near-total indifference I’ve gotten from my endocrinologist’s office. When I called in mid-May, the earliest appointment I could get was in September and when I asked what, exactly, I was supposed to do for the next four months, the receptionist said she’d have “someone” call me. Several days later, that someone did call, and told me the doctor could probably adjust my meds before September if I got new blood work done, and that she’d send me the lab forms.

That was two weeks ago, and still no forms – despite the fact that pretty much everything sent intra-DC ends up being overnight mail. I’m already shopping for a new doctor, and clearly need to begin harassing my current one to get the paperwork to me. There’s a walk-in lab at my GP’s office, which is right by my house, so I can do my part of this fast once I get the damned triplicate form.

And so, in the meantime, I muddle along, which is unbelievably frustrating. I don’t look sick, and I don’t feel sick; I’m just so tired I can hardly think. My friends all know the deal now, though, and I’ve gotten better about telling people at work what is going on, since constant tardiness and nodding off in meetings are generally perceived as character flaws and not an illness. Everyone has been very understanding – I’ve even gotten my dreaded morning meetings cut back to three days a week so I can sleep in a little if I need to, at least on days starting with T. Nevertheless, I’m resentful as hell at all these delays, now that I know how much better a proper dose of medication makes me feel.

Now if I just had the energy to call and yell at the doctor’s office… But, alas.

9 thoughts on “Tired

1. common loon June 10, 2010 / 1:55 pm

I’ll call and yell for you. Just give me the number. I’m exhausted, stressed, and even slightly hormonal – but I think I could do alright (maintain a modicum of sanity). ๐Ÿ™‚ Seriously, if medecine is becoming a business, then it needs to learn about customer service to stay viable. It’s not ethics (like you’re looking to implant 8 embryos despite having several young children already or anything – oh, and you’re employed and insured)…just a stinkin’ prescription!!!! Give me the number!

2. Mom June 10, 2010 / 6:00 pm

Oh I am with Loon!! And you dear Sarah are headed in the right direction — there have got to be a plethora of endos in D.C. and surely one who will be a little more patient-friendly. If you have to, think of making a standing appt. You can ALWAYS cancel and the next person on the waiting list will have a chance. By the way, ask to be put on the cancel list — and there is always the E.R. — or have your primary make the call to the endo. That often works best! Do you dare just increase your dosage a bit yourself? Say 1 1/2 pills instead of 1 — then when you get close to running out, have your pharmacist start bugging the doc for a renewal. There are a lot of ways to make a clatter ๐Ÿ™‚ Feel better soon!

3. Joanne June 10, 2010 / 7:39 pm

Dr. Mark Sklar. At Washington Circle, over by GWU. I’m quite positive he’s more responsive than your doctor. At the very least, you can just walk in to get the blood drawn.

4. Sionna June 10, 2010 / 9:50 pm

That sucks. Definitely time to find another doc.

Lots of hugs…now I know understand you’ve been slow to respond to an email, another email, a Facebook post, and then a phone message. You are more than forgiven. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I hope you find some resolution to this soon. I have iron issues, which do not even touch a pooped-out thyroid but when my levels plummet I can certainly relate to the tired-indifference. It’s like being in a never-ending fog. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

5. Eileen June 11, 2010 / 9:23 am

Loon and Mom beat me to my initial response…I’ll call and kick their a** too…I have the same thyroid issue (improved greatly by pregnancy, I think, and a doc who insists on seeing me every 4 weeks and stealing my blood) so I totally get it. And don’t get me wrong, I’m grateful for that doc — without him, I don’t think there’d be a James!

[and is it greatful or grateful — I seriously don’t know!]

@ Mom, she could change her meds on her own (we chatted about that) but the problem is on the other end, when her insurance balks at an early refill and then she has NONE!

***

And to all Sarah’s faithful readers, I am trying to post regularly…not doing so well but trying. If you have ideas of things to post, let me know. Since I can’t talk much about what occupies most of my day (and its a bit depressing these days anyway with Tuesday’s court date looming) I’m finding myself less than whitty and entertaining these days ๐Ÿ™‚

6. susan June 11, 2010 / 9:28 am

I think Commom Loon should do the call…exhausted-stressed-hormonal generally produces some eye-popping results on the opposite end of the yell. Hang in!!!!!

7. common loon June 11, 2010 / 2:41 pm

Sarah, sounds like if you don’t let me call, then Eileen thinks you should get pregnant. Now, which option would you prefer???????

8. Mom June 11, 2010 / 5:25 pm

Loon — I think you figured that one out just right!!!!! I also like a suggestion Eileen made while we were talking. Go camp out in the doc’s waiting room. My addition to that would be: You could also chat up all the other patients about your dilemma. That could move office hours along (or result in some cancellations) & YOU could/would be seen. ๐Ÿ™‚