I’ve been spending lots of time in the kitchen lately (making fresh baby food and having friends over for Memorial Day weekend, etc.). All this quality kitchen time has me thinking of the toys that I just love in my kitchen and couldn’t (well, wouldn’t want to) live without.
So, without further adieu, here are my ten favorite kitchen gadgets:
1. Microplane – has saved my knuckles from the old fashion zester (yuck) and is just the best for anything requiring fresh ginger or cheese.
2. Zyliss Garlic Press – no muss, no fuss, no icky garlic smell on your hands – and we’re garlic people
3. Foley Food Mill – an absolute necessity for making apple sauce (and there is no jar apple sauce here)
4. William Sonoma’s Apple Corer, Peeler, Slicer – for all things apple, this gadget rocks (I was first introduced to it at a play date in Minnesota with Loon and her gaggle of friends with kiddos – I was instantly converted)
5. Baking Parchment – never clean another cookie sheet again (and works beautifully with the baking stone for even done-ness)
6. Pampered Chef Baking Stones – will never use a conventional cookie sheet again
7. Pie Crust Rolling Mat – eliminates the evils of the counter clean up and provides assistance transferring the rolled crust to the pie plate, double bonus!
8. Shot Glass Measuring “Spoon” – multifunctional (only down side is that the painted on measures wear off in the dishwasher over time, but since it costs less than $2, this is not a fatal flaw)
9. Old Fashioned Nut Cruncher with Jar Attachment – mince your nuts with a little hand crank and capture them in the attached jar – no mess
10. Old Fashioned Potato Masher – cause whipped mashed potatoes have their place but sometimes lumpy is good
Honorable mention goes to the SiliCups silicone baking cups which replace the old muffin tin (cabinet space sucker upper). I love that these stack up in a drawer and sit on a cookie sheet (or baking stone in my kitchen). The down side is that I have a hard time getting them clean after using them…but I still love them.
So what is in your kitchen that you just love?