I Need Ideas

A quick Monday post, to solicit ideas from the more experienced friends and family that follow us here.

This is Chris’s first Father’s Day – what does one get a man for Father’s Day?  I am so clueless. He doesn’t have a desk, so the obvious photo of kiddo seems less than ideal…and obviously with the changes that are about to come (with Little Man and then James) its a bit of an odd holiday for us this year.  Yet, I still want to honor him – he really is an excellent Dad and it’s been really fun to watch this part of his personality develop.  So what to get???

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas, and sorry for the lameness of this post (but its better than no post, right?).  Happy Monday everyone, from steamy Houston, Texas!

UPDATE: (6/8/10) Thanks to all who have offered ideas (and feel free to keep posting them).  I have taken your suggestions and run…I hope Chris enjoys his first Father’s Day.

9 thoughts on “I Need Ideas

1. Alisa June 7, 2010 / 1:27 pm

There are great photo calendars for the wall that you can make online. May favorite gift to give new Dads is a digital camera. But if you’re looking for something token, there are books with suggested activities to do with kids, gift cards for printing photos or digital photo classes etc.Sometimes, a funny book about fatherhood is fun too.

Good luck!

2. common loon June 7, 2010 / 8:37 pm

Also, there are “digital keychains” (available at Target or BB) where it becomes your portable “brag book.” B & N will have a ton of books for Father’s Day and you can put a picture of him & child in the front cover (“World’s Greatest Dad” by Kath Smith), and read to brother later (or I guess even now). If he grills, get “finger” paint and put LM’s hands / feet in it and then onto an apron with something about being the best Dad (again, Target has had T-shirts in years past that come w/ shirt & paint in a single package), add siblings as they come along (every kid gets their own unique color, though). I would suggest anything in burnt orange might work. More if / when I think of ’em.

3. Joanne June 7, 2010 / 9:46 pm

I hate Father’s Day. So I don’t shop. He is impossible to shop for. I give up.

4. Mom June 8, 2010 / 11:03 am

I love Loon’s idea about the ‘t’ shirt with the boys’ handprints. How awesome. I’d love one too :). I also thought about keychain or money clip. Most malls have a Things Remembered store & it specializes in that stuff.

5. Mom June 8, 2010 / 11:06 am

Hey, how about James’ ultrasound foot pic right next to Little Man’s. FD 2010 🙂

6. Rudi June 8, 2010 / 12:44 pm

He needs but two things: a fifth of Jack Daniels and a shot glass.

. . .

Scratch that – make it four things: a fifth of Jack Daniels, a fifth of Petron, a fifth of Tanquery and a shot glass.

😉

7. common loon June 8, 2010 / 5:37 pm

Rudi, you so very rarely forget things: must have rocks!

8. Shannon June 12, 2010 / 2:08 pm

Each year I take a pic of Brayden holding a wooden letter “d” “a” “d” and put the individual pics in a 3 part 4×6 frame- you could do it this year with Little Man and then James the following years- cheap and easy! Danny keeps his on his dresser 🙂