With the official start of summer arriving this weekend, the lastest 10 on Tuesday topic seemed especially appropriate – favorite cookout foods. (I suspect this is not a coincidence.)
1. Spiedies – I don’t think any self-respecting Binghamtonian, expat or otherwise, would consider anything other than our native food to be a top pick for the grill. I like mine old-school, on buttered Italian bread.
2. Cheeseburgers – I love cheeseburgers under nearly all circumstances, but never more than fresh off the grill.
3. Hotdogs – I’m mostly meh about hotdogs, but grilled, with ketchup and mustard on a toasted bun, they’re as close to perfection as food can get.
4. Potato salad – The cold kind, with mustard and mayo and onions, not that weird hot kind.
5. Corn on the cob – Steamed, boiled, or grilled with butter and salt – yum!
6. Deviled eggs – I’ve never figured out how to make them as delicious as my grandma’s, but I’m never going to stop trying.
7. Beer – Yes, technically not a food, but a nice summery lager goes perfectly with eating outdoors in the sunshine.
8. Baked beans – I’m lazy and just warm up canned beans because I like even those, but I really love it when people make the homemade kind.
9. Tomatoes – It’s too early in the season now, but there’s nothing like a perfect, ripe tomato sliced with nothing but salt & pepper; truly the taste of summer.
10. Shannon’s rainbow jello – I would never, ever have the patience to make this, but it’s tasty and looks freakin’ cool.
And the best thing about cookouts, really? So many choices! What yumminess have I missed?