Ten on Tuesday: On the Grill

With the official start of summer arriving this weekend, the lastest 10 on Tuesday topic seemed especially appropriate – favorite cookout foods. (I suspect this is not a coincidence.)

1. Spiedies – I don’t think any self-respecting Binghamtonian, expat or otherwise, would consider anything other than our native food to be a top pick for the grill. I like mine old-school, on buttered Italian bread.

2. Cheeseburgers – I love cheeseburgers under nearly all circumstances, but never more than fresh off the grill.

3. Hotdogs – I’m mostly meh about hotdogs, but grilled, with ketchup and mustard on a toasted bun, they’re as close to perfection as food can get.

4. Potato salad – The cold kind, with mustard and mayo and onions, not that weird hot kind.

5. Corn on the cob – Steamed, boiled, or grilled with butter and salt – yum!

6. Deviled eggs – I’ve never figured out how to make them as delicious as my grandma’s, but I’m never going to stop trying.

7. Beer – Yes, technically not a food, but a nice summery lager goes perfectly with eating outdoors in the sunshine.

8. Baked beans – I’m lazy and just warm up canned beans because I like even those, but I really love it when people make the homemade kind.

9. Tomatoes – It’s too early in the season now, but there’s nothing like a perfect, ripe tomato sliced with nothing but salt & pepper; truly the taste of summer.

10. Shannon’s rainbow jello – I would never, ever have the patience to make this, but it’s tasty and looks freakin’ cool.

And the best thing about cookouts, really? So many choices! What yumminess have I missed?

8 thoughts on “Ten on Tuesday: On the Grill

1. Mom May 26, 2010 / 4:26 am

Hmmmm — even at 4ish a.m. you’ve got my mouth watering — how about adding a grilled veggie “medly”, a nice steak, summer sausage for breakfast, chicken any style. I know not all good for you, but oh so much better when grilled!! And, what with the Grands coming for this holiday, do tell how to make Rainbow Jello. SIONA — help!!

2. common loon May 26, 2010 / 8:47 am

Not just any hot dog: Ziegler’s…from Rochester, NY…does Wegman’s sell them in other places / states????

Since not all of your items are grilled, I offer up steamed crabs with LOTS of old bay (and cold beer).

There’s a strawberry spinach salad (with poppy seed dressing) from Taste of Home that always disappears at cookouts, and I always get asked for the recipe.

On the dessert front, homemade ice cream, any flavor.

3. Sionna May 26, 2010 / 9:01 am

I’m so touched that the jello made the top ten!! I’d like to thank the academy for nominating me. You like me! You really like me!

Ok, silliness aside….here is my Mom’s rainbow jello recipe (this takes a few days ahead of time to make properly):

Ingredients:
    6 – 3oz. pkgs jello in the following colors:
    red, orange, yellow (lemon), green (lime),
    blue (berry), and purple (grape) (or any other color combination that you want)

1 -16oz. sour cream

Directions:
    In order, add 1 cup boiling water to one package of jello.
    Divide mixture in half.
    To one half add 1/3 cup sour cream, mix well.
    Put this mixture in pan/bowl first. Chill till set.
    To other half add 3 tbsp. cold water. Add to pan/bowl when the first
    half is set.
    Repeat until all pkgs are used.

This looks really good in a clear bowl/pan but anything will work.

4. Eileen May 26, 2010 / 9:52 am

@Loon. Recipe please for salad. I’m too lazy to look it up.

5. Eileen May 26, 2010 / 10:55 am

Here is my top ten list off the grill.
    1. Like Sarah, speedies. My favorite are lamb.
    2. Aunt Anne’s grill veggies *
    3. Ginger pineapple pork tenderloin *
    4. pineapple
    5. Steak
    6. Lamb chops
    7. Apricot & teriyaki salmon *
    8. Burgers
    9. Tuna
    10. Garlic shrimp

Chris would add beer brats.

Like Sarah, I love love love corn on the cob and fresh summer tomato (which are hard to come by around here).

Items marked with a * will have the recipes posted later today.

Now, what will we grill for our Monday picnic???

6. Eileen May 26, 2010 / 11:19 am

2. Aunt Anne’s Grill Veggies

Pick your favorites from the following assortment:
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Green, Red, Yellow and/or orange pepper mix
    Mushrooms
    Yellow squash
    Zucchini
    Grape tomatoes
    Onions

Chop into large chunks. Put them all in a LARGE ziplock bag and dump a packet of Good Seasons Italian salad dressing dry mix. Add a little powdered red pepper to taste and about 1/4 to ½ cup of Balsamic Vinegar and 1/4 to ½ cup of Olive Oil (dependent on how many veggies you have). Let marinate for minimum one hour.

Grill in grill basket for just a few minutes (I like them cooked but still a bit crispy)…add tomatoes near the end. Just before serving grate a little Parmesan cheese on top.

3. Ginger Pineapple Pork Tenderloin

1/4 c. Pineapple juice
    2 tablespoons finely chopped & peeled ginger
    1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
    1 tablespoon sake (rice wine)
    4 lg. Garlic cloves, minced
    1 lb. Pork tenderloin

Marinate in a zip lock minimum 1 hour in fridge.

Grill 22 min. Add salt & pepper when grilling to taste. Let stand 10 minutes. It’s really moist and makes fantastic leftovers!

7. Apricot & Teriyaki Salmon

large hunk of wild caught salmon (portions below are for salmon to serve 3-4 people)
    ½ small jar of apricot preserves
    ½ bottle of Kikoman low sodium teriyaki sauce
    Green onions
    Ground pepper

Mix apricot preserves and teriyaki and pour over salmon. Cut some green onions over top and season with fresh ground pepper to taste. Marinate a minimum of one hour. Grill to desired doneness. (If you keep some extra marinade and nuke it fast, its great over mashed potatoes).

7. Mom May 26, 2010 / 6:02 pm

@ Loon — Maryland Backfin Crabs this year for sure — nothing beats the old crab fests in August @ 1210. Yummy!!! (and then the best crab cakes on earth & crab soup). But I’ve digressed from the grill. Happy Memorial Day picnicing, Ladies !!

8. common loon May 27, 2010 / 10:52 am

p. 186 in Taste of Home’s 2001 Quick Cooking (this posted comment is not intended to violate any copyright laws…and how does that work w/ recipes anyways?)

Summer Spinach Salad

dressing:
    1/2 c. vegetable oil
    1/4 c. chopped onion (I put mine in the food processor or blender)
    2T + 2t cider or red wine vinegar
    2T + 2t sugar
    1 1/2 t ground mustard (I probably use more)
    1 1/2 t poppy seeds

salad:
    8 c torn fresh spinach
    3 green onions, sliced (I probably use more)
    2 pints fresh strawberries, sliced
    3 large ripe bananas, sliced
    1/2 c slivered almonds, toasted (I probably use more)

This salad should be served immediately. The bananas & fruit do not keep well overnight (if you have any leftover). Also, I never measure spices and such – just use them as a guide and go with my taste.