Shameless Pleading

I try to avoid talking about work as much as possible here on the blog, but every now and again, it’s unavoidable, and today is one of those days. If you’re my friend on Facebook or keep an eye on the Twitter feed in the sidebar, you may have noticed that I’ve been posting occasionally to encourage folks to vote for the National Trust in the “Take Part” promotion from American Express. We’re up for a $200,000 grant, one which will be given out based upon the results of three months of online voting. We’ve been holding our own for most of the time, but we’re in the final week and our main competitor has just pulled even with us, and so now I need to beg you all to vote, and if you’re so inclined, email your friends and ask them to help.

Organizationally, this is money we can really use —  as a nonprofit reliant on donations and grants, $200K would be a nice chunk of cash for us. Personally, I am pleading because this is the inaugural voting round of a 12-month process, and if we don’t win, I have to spend three more months (or six, or nine) harassing people to vote. And you who know me, know that’s not really my thing.

So, right now, please go to www.takepart.com/membersproject/vote and cast your vote for the National Trust for Historic Preservation. We’re in the first category, Arts & Culture. (Don’t be swayed by the other worthy causes; you can vote for them in the next round. That’s what I plan to do.) If you uncheck the boxes for email contact, AmEx won’t even bug you after the fact, other than to confirm receipt of your vote.

If you need help with getting logged into the site (Facebook connect is easiest, but I know not everyone is on FB) there’s a primer on our website. You can find it here.

Thank you for helping out, and please tell your friends. Pretty please.  With a cherry on top.

Updated to add: I just came out of a meeting where we decided our theme was “ask five friends.” So that’s what I’d like you all to do… just ask five friends to cast a vote for us. Tell them your crazy daughter/sister/cousin/friend — or just some random blogger — is asking for help for a really great organization.

22 thoughts on “Shameless Pleading

1. sprite May 20, 2010 / 11:55 am

Voted. I hope you win, because none of the other charities I like are doing well.

• Sarah May 20, 2010 / 1:47 pm

Thank you!

2. common loon May 20, 2010 / 12:52 pm

Done. Had to sign up for the Members project to do it (unchecked all boxes), so I really hope I don’t get bombarded with junk.

• Sarah May 20, 2010 / 1:47 pm

I seriously haven’t gotten anything via email other than vote confirmations, so it certainly seems non-spammy. I hope it stays that way.

3. Eileen May 20, 2010 / 1:05 pm

Voted. Ditto Loon’s comments. Do they pick one from each category? Otherwise the ASPCA is kicking butt.

• Sarah May 20, 2010 / 1:53 pm

Yep, one charity per category. We would never beat kittens. Or the kids.

4. Mom May 20, 2010 / 8:20 pm

Well, I’ve just VOTED! Did not see a lot of boxes to check off, so hope I did it right and am not inundated. Oh well, Sarah, you can fix that, right??? Over tired tonight — two, not one — car alarms in the neighborhood went off between 4:30 & 4:45 this morning, so I’ve been awake a LONG time. Doggie went nuts; then I had to make SURE I’d locked the kitchen door; we all know how that is. You KNOW you did, but can’t lay there and not be sure. Kids on the prowl; spring is here 🙂 😦

5. susan May 20, 2010 / 9:17 pm

I voted. Shameless pleading is pretty effective 🙂

• Sarah May 21, 2010 / 1:32 pm

Thanks! I’ll keep in mind for the future how well the pleading worked.

6. Eileen May 20, 2010 / 11:30 pm

I voted for the NRA…

7. Eileen May 21, 2010 / 12:15 am

I did NOT vote for the NRA…my husband, who fancies himself a comedian, hijacked my login. And apparently I lack certain controls or I’d have deleted his *%$# comment. Perhaps Sarah can do that for me, but until such time, clarification is necessary.

• Sarah May 21, 2010 / 1:31 pm

Well, now that everyone has commented on his comment, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to get rid of it. No worries though. I – and I presume everyone else who has ever met the two of you – knew it was him. 😉

8. Mom May 21, 2010 / 5:53 am

Eileen — did you ever hear of a PASSWORD ??Oh, dear, did I do that 🙂

9. susan May 21, 2010 / 6:54 am

@Eileen (and faux Eileen)…and I get to start my day with a smile 🙂

10. Eileen May 21, 2010 / 7:34 am

@Mom. I do have a password. He used MY computer, which I was logged in to from prior postings. Didn’t think I had to log off my own computer. Sigh. Is nothing sacred 😉

11. common loon May 21, 2010 / 7:38 am

@ Eileen & Mr. Eileen – 🙂
    Remember, this is the guy that probably wears his “Change – I’d like mine back” pin to family dinners (on his wife’s side)…it’s all about the reaction (btw, nicely done).

Sarah, I emailed 5 friends, but don’t know if that will produce anything.

• Sarah May 21, 2010 / 1:33 pm

Thanks for sharing with others. I appreciate the effort – even if it doesn’t pan out. We’re up by 2% today, so I’m feeling a bit more hopeful. Just need to make it through Sunday!

12. Eileen May 21, 2010 / 1:15 pm

Testing to see if my new avatar is used…sorry!

• Sarah May 21, 2010 / 1:34 pm

Yup. Pretty.

13. common loon May 21, 2010 / 1:38 pm

@ Eileen: Is that Mr. Eileen’s sleeve over your left shoulder?

14. Eileen May 21, 2010 / 2:00 pm

@Loon…can you see the new picture? its not showing up on my computer…and no, there is no one over my left shoulder in the pic…

15. Rudi May 21, 2010 / 2:28 pm

I eventually shrugged and picked the National Trust, but only after I didn’t see the C. Montgomery Burns Center for Research in the Field of Excellence.