Well. It seems that I have exactly two states of bloggerdom: prolific and absent. I need to work on that, eh? Anyway, I thought I’d play catch-up on the past couple of weeks with a twist on my usual Wednesday Random 10 – presenting 10 unconnected tidbits about what I’ve been doing, reading, thinking about, etc. – my life on shuffle, as it were. I’ve got my headphones on, too, so the usual tunes list will appear at the end.
1. After a year of dithering, I finally got the new television that I’ve been wanting. My brother-in-law, Chris, provided extremely useful technical information, so I feel like I made a good choice. Getting everything worked out with the cable company took more time than buying and setting up the tv, of course. (Yay, cable-provider monopolies.) I opted to self-install rather than wait 10 days for a home visit, but I was getting less than half of my HD channels, so I ended up needing a technician after all. That appointment was yesterday, and I’m now all set, and it is bee-yoo-ti-ful. And everyone who told me that hockey in hi-def would be amazing was totally right. Now, if only it were Caps hockey… but more on that later.
2. This video is hilarious. That is all.
3. The gym experiment is not going well so far. I did all right for the first week, but then pinched a nerve in my upper back by sleeping wrong somehow. (I know. How mundane.) It took a couple of weeks to heal, and now I need to buckle down and figure out how to fit gym visits into my routine.
4. If you spent any time on the internet in the mid-1990s, playing around with this website will crack you up. If you didn’t, you’ll find it puzzling.
5. And how about those Caps. Heartbreaking, no? I’ve never been so disappointed at the end of a hockey game in my life – and I’ve been at Verizon Center for the game-7 ends of the Caps’ last two seasons, as well. If crying were allowed at sporting events, I just might have done so (vomiting was also not entirely out of the question). Instead, I decided to buck up and be grateful for having seen an amazing season of hockey. But I’m not gonna lie… watching the rest of the playoffs has pretty much been sucking, especially when I’m left rooting for the Habs against the Pens. I mean really, having to support the team that took the Caps out in the service of my loathing of the Penguins really stings.
6. One of the things that depressed me most about the loss was the amount of venom online in the aftermath of the loss. I understand that people take their sports loyalties seriously, but when “choking dogs” is the nicest thing you see written, it feels like maybe it’s time to get a little perspective. Mine came in the form of this story from the Washington Post, which is a great reminder that the players are just people, and that if a player who has every right to be wall-punching mad after losing can be this kind, maybe the fans ought to be, too. I have to say, it hasn’t done much to change the tenor of online conversations about the Caps that I’ve seen, but I’m pretty sure I won’t be spending the 2010-2011 season justifying my choice of a Laich jersey, like I did this year.
7. Moving on to baseball season… I’ve been to two Nationals games in the past few weeks, and the Nats won both. It’s too early in the season to be optimistic about them, but it’s a nice change from last year.
OK. This is as far as I’ve gotten, and I can’t think of anything else. I even cheated and split the Caps item into two, and I’m still not gonna make it to 10. Sigh. I guess I’ll just post the music list without further ado…
- I’ll Never be Your Maggie May – Suzanne Vega
- Little Heaven – Toad the Wet Sprocket
- White as Snow – U2
- Picture – Sheryl Crow and Kid Rock
- The Playboy Mansion – U2
- Two Hearts – U2
- You Love Me – Devtochka
- /=/=/ – Andrew Bird (Yes, that’s really the name.)
- Demasduit Dream – Great Big Sea
- Go On Ahead – Liz Phair