Dear Mother Nature

This spring was off to such a beautiful start. After an absolutely punishing winter, things have really been looking up – warm sunny days, chirping birds, flowers a-bloom everywhere, and then… Blam! Chilly winds, gray skies, and rain replaced all the loveliness. Now, this (clearly) isn’t my first springtime, but after a season of record-breaking snowfall, I was kind of hoping to slide neatly into the nice weather without the usual backsliding. Seems that’s not what you had in mind, however.

So, if I have to slog through a chilly, damp weekend rather than bask in a glorious one as I did just seven days ago, could you at least take away whatever pollen it is that’s making my eyes itch and nose run? Because, really, enduring crappy weather and seasonal alllergies at the same time is just more than I can take.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sarah

11 thoughts on “Dear Mother Nature

1. Eileen March 27, 2010 / 1:23 am

I shouldn’t laugh at your pain This is really funny. On the bright side, you fashion a very reasonable, well articulated argument. Good luck!

2. Mom March 27, 2010 / 7:00 am

Yes, Mother Nature IS being R U D E !! 14.5 degrees with a clear blue sky. Will the sun rise? Who knows. It appears the birds do not like “lots of ice” — on their birdbath that is 🙂

• Sarah March 27, 2010 / 10:59 am

Fourteen degrees? Holy crap! Here I was whining about it going back down to 40.

3. Susan March 27, 2010 / 8:30 am

How is it that EVERY year I can’t figure out why I have a dull headache and an almost cold. Then…the itching starts and I am once again surprised about spring allergies. Am I that good at living in denial??

• Sarah March 27, 2010 / 10:57 am

I have the same problem. In addition to the itching and snuffling, I also get extraordinarily tired (I guess because I am working so hard to fight the pollen?) and it always takes a week of me moping around with tissues and eyedrops before I think, “Oh! I have medicine for this!”

4. Sionna March 27, 2010 / 10:04 am

I was rather offended by the dusting of snow we received yesterday. That ain’t right.

• Sarah March 27, 2010 / 11:15 am

Agreed! Ugh!

5. common loon March 27, 2010 / 10:15 am

Only way I knew middle child did not have a cold (after those couple of sunny days playing outside) was that his eyes were so terribly itchy. It certainly is not fun having to start those meds 4 weeks earlier than normal. Worse to be the one suffering!

• Sarah March 27, 2010 / 11:13 am

The meds are a lifesaver, though. So even if early, I have no doubt at all that S is grateful for them! (Is he doing shots yet, or just pills/drops?)

6. common loon March 27, 2010 / 12:19 pm

So far, pills. He went to the max dosage on this one last year, so we’ll see if we can get by on another year or if it’s time to switch. Most fortunately, his season is typically 8-10 weeks, but as he’s growing so much from year to year it takes half of his allergy season to figure out med and dosage changes. I think we have one or two more pills he may be eligible for before we move to shots. And I’m truly hoping that Sue is right: at one point she told me that kids that tend to have rough allergies when they’re young typically have less severe symptoms as they age, whereas if you start old you’re pretty much screwed (symptoms intensify).

Oh, and the “denial” bit…I’ve got tons of guilt on that one. I would appreciate yearly posts announcing the arrival of allergy season so S doesn’t have to suffer an extra week or two b/c his mom is clueless.

7. Mom March 27, 2010 / 6:51 pm

Alas – FYI – a mere 12 hours later – “polar birds” are splahing seemingly happily in my just thawed birdbath :). We got to 37 in bright beautiful sunshine so the day wasn’t too glum afterall.