I grabbed today’s 10 on Tuesday theme from Hillary, and it’s a pretty easy one: signs of spring. They are, of course, everywhere right now (at least here in the Mid-Atlantic), and while I’ve touched on a few already, like flowers and longer days, it was still easy to come up with more.
1. Outdoor dining – It seemed like every restaurant in town with even a little bit out outside space had set up its tables and umbrellas over the weekend.
2. Cherry blossom updates – When every local newscast mentions the current prediction for “peak days,” spring is definitely on the way. (As of today, April 1-4, by the way.)
3. Tourists on the Metro – After two outbreaks of crazy on the train during my commute home on Friday, I said aloud, though to no one in particular, “What is this? Amateur hour on the Metro?” Someone replied, “No. Tourist season.” Right. I’d almost forgotten.
4. Sleeping with fresh air – It’s getting warm enough at night to keep the windows open, which I love, except for…
5. Being woken up by noisy birds – I’m pretty sure every starling in the District swings by my porch to say hello in the morning.
6. Baseball in the news – My “Caps & Nats” Twitter list has gotten to be as full of baseball commentary as it is of hockey. It’s a bit overwhelming. I may have to split them up. (This is mostly because I just can’t bring myself to care about baseball when there is still hockey to watch.)
7. Drying laundry outside – The dryer portion of my combined machine doesn’t work worth a damn, so it’s a welcome sign of spring when the wash goes back on the porch to dry.
8. Not knowing what to wear – Between the fact that half of my warm-weather clothes are still put away and the fact that the weather is still going back and forth from nice-springy to rainy-springy, getting dressed every day is a challenge.
9. Allergies – I love the blooming and everything, but ugh, pollen.
10. Easter candy – Jelly beans, pastel M&Ms, marshmallow Peeps, and (my favorite) Cadbury Cream Eggs are back in the stores. Yum!