Third Time’s the Charm?

In a little less than an hour, my alma mater, Siena College, will be hitting the court in the NCAA basketball tournament.  I once again have hopes they’ll make it as far as the Sweet Sixteen, though they didn’t last year, or the year before. I don’t know anything about college basketball, or follow it any time other than during March Madness, but I do understand enough to realize that, because Siena is a small school in a middling conference, the fact that they’ve now made it out of the first round a few times pretty much qualifies as exceeding expectations. And yet, I always remain optimistic for an even better showing.

This year, however, late-night host Jimmy Fallon totally has me (and to be honest, all but the strictest Siena partisans) beaten as far as enthusiasm goes —  he has decided Siena is going to win it all.  Obviously, his excitement is all in the service of comedy, but I can’t help but think that a guy who may have been at a Siblings Weekend once or twice back in the day might have a legitimate soft-spot for his underdog selection this year.

Vodpod videos no longer available.

Vodpod videos no longer available.

I wish I knew someone with a little pull at his show, actually. The Siena fight song is funny to begin with, and in the hands of a trained professional could move into absolute hilarity.

Sing along!

Put on your old green bonnet
With the yellow ribbons on it,
And we’ll drink six friars to the grave.
Though we ain’t got knowledge,
We’re a damned good college:
S.I.E.N.A!

14 thoughts on “Third Time’s the Charm?

1. Eileen March 19, 2010 / 2:12 pm

Is Fallon NY or LA based? You may have a tangential NY connection.

• Sarah March 19, 2010 / 2:17 pm

You know, I have no idea where his show tapes. It’s on past my bedtime.

The funny thing is, though, his sister was apparently just a couple of years behind me and I don’t recall the name at all. I’ll blame it on spending too much time in the theater and not getting to know enough people and not because I am so old that my memory is shot.

• Rudi March 19, 2010 / 7:30 pm

He tapes in New York, at 30 Rockefeller Center (studio 6B, I think).

2. Eileen March 19, 2010 / 2:19 pm

Could it be the beer?

• Sarah March 19, 2010 / 2:21 pm

Oh, hush.

3. Sionna March 19, 2010 / 4:08 pm

It’s not looking good. 😦 Siena getting killed by Purdue in the second half.

• Sarah March 19, 2010 / 4:44 pm

Yup. Over now. Back to not caring about basketball.

4. common loon March 19, 2010 / 4:08 pm

Could you please explain “so old” to me??? I’m sure Mom wants to know, too. 🙂

• Sarah March 19, 2010 / 4:43 pm

In a word? Sarcasm. 😉

5. Mom March 19, 2010 / 6:18 pm

I am told — don’t know it for a fact YET — that the older we get, the farther back our memory goes!! Or does it maybe just “go”….. At least Siena is in good company this year. Georgetown out in the first round too?? (I only know that cuz I saw it on the news this morning.). S– you come by you non-basketball genes honestly! 🙂

6. common loon March 19, 2010 / 7:44 pm

Thanks for the clsrification, Sarah. Our oldest has recently discovered a fondness for sarcasm. Genetics? Oh, I think my sister’s side got ALL of the basketball stuff. It is nonexistent here (didn’t even know the due date for the brackets except for your blog). We’re still in full hockey mode.

• Sarah March 20, 2010 / 11:58 am

As disappointed as I am for Siena, I am relieved, too, since I am really still in hockey mode, and find basketball to be distraction.

And re: J & sarcasm, it couldn’t possibly be genetics, given the overwhelmingly sincere gene pool from which he springs.

7. Susan March 20, 2010 / 8:52 am

So…this isn’t the place to mention my 26-6 bracket, with only 1 team gone in a future round (Never should picked that darn Siena for sentimental reasons!)

@CL…thought you were going to say “my sisters side cornered the market on”…sarcasm! Was relieved when I read when we cornered the market on ‘the love of the game’… 🙂

• Sarah March 20, 2010 / 11:55 am

Mention away! I am glad to hear someone has a decent bracket. And I’m pretty sure there’s enough sarcasm to go around through the whole family. Or, it sure as heck seems that way. 🙂