Balloons, Birthday, and Ancient Art

I’ve had a headache for the past three days, but I swear that thinking about beautiful things from the past week is making it hurt a little less.

1. The Metro was full of colorful balloons on Sunday afternoon, as people were bringing home last-minute gifts for their sweethearts.

2. Even though it falls on Valentine’s Day, sprite opted to share her birthday with friends and not just her honey. It was lovely to have fun plans on an evening I’d normally be on my own.

3. I was absolutely blown away by the Terra Cotta Warriors exhibit. The statues are amazing, and the amount of time and ingenuity that went into creating thousands and thousands of them is mind-boggling.

7 thoughts on “Balloons, Birthday, and Ancient Art

1. common loon February 20, 2010 / 8:08 pm

Hope you feel better soon!!!

(saw TCW on a trip into China & could not agree w/ you more)

2. Mom February 21, 2010 / 7:02 am

Glad you’ve recovered enough to write a little bit — have been worrying about you. Hope it goes away soon. Hugs!

3. Susan February 21, 2010 / 8:46 am

I’ve been sympathizing with your headache. I HATE them!!!! I use this awful smelling tei-fu oil that I use when I have a bad one…it has to be really bad cuz the remedy is so stinky. But it usually takes them away. Feel better!

4. Sarah February 21, 2010 / 6:03 pm

@CL – Oh, I’m so jealous. I would love to see the Warriors in China! Maybe someday…

@Susan – What is tei-fu oil? I’m willing to try anything! Part of what made this one so bad was that I took too much ibuprofin and gave myself a horrible stomachache, so I had to go through the rest of it painkiller-free. It would be nice to have a non-drug option, even if it’s stinky.

5. Joanne February 21, 2010 / 6:36 pm

Actually, Sarah, you probably got closer to the TCW at NatGeo than you would in Xian. You stand up at the lip of the pit, and look down on the assembled masses.

You do realize, right, that the TCW was one of the last acts of a deranged tyrant, right? Emperor Qin was a nutjob, and his daily dose of mercury surely didn’t help.

6. Eileen February 21, 2010 / 7:14 pm

Am so bummed. TCW were in Houston last year and I missed it.

7. Susan February 21, 2010 / 7:20 pm

It’s a homeopathethic thing…I used it a ton during pregnancy. I mail order it through a company, but I’m pretty sure YOUR area has it 🙂 It’s a teeny container…only .12 fl.oz of an essential oil. It’s got wintergreen in it and some other stuff. I don’t think tei-fu oil is a brand name…but I just may google it and find out. It almost smells like vicks vapor rub and I use it topically…though everyone else is always bugged by the aroma.