The Week Ahead

I don’t have an especially exciting week planned, but here are a few things I’ll be doing:

Monday (a/k/a today) – I’m working this Presidents Day holiday, something I haven’t done in many, many years. Because we were closed almost all of last week, my office gave us the option of trading today for a floating holiday. I decided to take them up on it when I realized that all of last week’s meetings had been shifted into this week – where I already had plenty of meetings scheduled. If I didn’t come in today, I would have no concentrated work time at all.

Tuesday – The meeting onslaught begins. I do have lunchtime tickets to go see the Terra Cotta Warriors exhibit at National Geographic, which will no doubt be the highlight of the day.

Wednesday/Thursday – Did I mention I have lots of meetings this week? I did, right? Well, now that I am here in the office with the bigger version of my calendar, it’s not looking quite as bad as I thought. Maybe I should have stayed home today after all. Crap.

Friday – I need to figure out how to get out to the suburbs for a Egypt-trip reunion party. I hope I can grab a ride or borrow a car, because it would be great to see everyone.

Saturday/Sunday – I don’t have any plans as of yet. I’m guessing there will be a brunch it or two in there, and some grocery shopping, laundry, and other chores. I’ll probably also make a trip to Eastern Market, since it’s been a couple of weeks since I’ve been there.

My evenings are likely to be full of Olympics-watching, even though I’m finding NBC’s coverage frustrating. (I don’t really have the energy to rant about it; fortunately, my friend Rudi has done a thorough breakdown of NBC’s flawed presentation over on his blog.)

So, what does your week hold?

12 thoughts on “The Week Ahead

1. common loon February 15, 2010 / 8:27 pm

1. Yeah Rudi!!! I fully agree w/ all that your friend has blogged about NBC’s coverage. I was hot when I got my “no content for you” message!!! But I will still be staying up late to see what I can.
    2. Week ahead: abolishment of a carpool due to an absolutely absurd new rule at DH’s workplace. Now instead of having 3 different carpools 5x/wk with 3 different families, I’m down to 2 families and a decent carpool only 2x/wk. The other 3 days I will be driving (with youngest child) between schools for a couple of hours each day…and no school is more than 4 miles from our house. A couple of HOURS. Seriously!!!
    3. This season, none of the chldren thus far want to do the same activity. This season, none of the children would fit into the same age bracket for any activity even if they picked the same activity (but at least if it was the same activity, it would be a single – albeit loooonnnggg – trip to one place). This week, the new activities start. Add that to #2’s new carpool schedule – can you hear my clenched teeth?
    4. Hope to move all children into one bedroom / bunkroom.

2. Joanne February 16, 2010 / 6:46 am

I am seriously annoyed by NBC. Geriatric commentators, horrible chop jobs on the events that seem to think we only want to see the medal winners compete, and a trillion commercials. I’m so aggravated, but they’re pulling amazing numbers. Grrrr!

3. common loon February 16, 2010 / 9:05 am

NBC is pulling amazing numbers b/c we have no choice.

4. Eileen February 16, 2010 / 12:29 pm

Washington Post today has a glowing review of NBC coverage. On what planet does this dude live? Coverge stinks, but we’ve got no choice.

5. Sarah February 16, 2010 / 2:02 pm

@Eileen, I saw your comment and my first thought was “it has to be Tom Shales,” for never has there been a tv critic so removed from reality. He’s wrong about virtually everything, at least from my perspective, and never more so than in that glowing review.

@CL & Joanne, I agree that the amazing ratings are due to it being the only option for a) Olympic coverage and b) new programming. Most of the other networks are showing reruns. I was initially torn about watching LOST tonight instead of the Olympics, but the crappy coverage has ended that struggle for me.

6. Mom February 16, 2010 / 4:28 pm

I agree with you all! I enjoyed the pre-Olympic competitions better — you got to see the competing & not just the winning — the core of the Olympics. Maybe next year will learn from this year 🙂

7. common loon February 16, 2010 / 5:54 pm

@ Mom: That’s what I thought last time. Really, what do polar bears have to do with the Olympics or even B.C.? Why dwell on a mis-step at the speed skating rink when (a) the U.S. has it’s own share of blemishes and more importantly (b) there MUST HAVE BEEN some footage of any other competition that would have “filled” that prime-time space better. I actually started to doze during the figure skating. This is what happened this past summer (2008), and it will happen again (probably get at least a dozen hours of Phelps interviews at the expense of other EVENTS). My DH says this would NEVER happen with CBC coverage…how can we get that?

8. Joanne February 16, 2010 / 7:41 pm

yeah, i know, the monopoly is driving the ratings. But, unfortunately, NBC will not change their approach for the next few Olympics because they get great ratings. Boo. 😦

And Tom Shales is indeed INSANE. I nearly choked when I read that review.

9. Sarah February 16, 2010 / 7:45 pm

@CL – Doesn’t being married to a half-Canadian, and mothering quarter-Canadian children somehow entitle you you CBC access? I think it should!

10. Susan February 16, 2010 / 8:46 pm

Can I admit it…that’s why I stopped watching…the past summer game coverage made me crazy. I’ve watched maybe 10 minutes of the stuff…and was irritated. Now…I just read about it online. Sigh.

11. common loon February 17, 2010 / 9:54 am

@ Sarah: So, DH’s Dad is half Canadian, and DH has the Canadian birth certificate (and citizenship according to them and their retirement system)…so who’s really Canadian and by how much? His sisters both have American birth certificates and lived in Canada all their lives, but his oldest sister only recently got her Canadian citizenship (in order to get her passport). Oh, and DH almost posted to your blog, as he was livid when coverage of the Canada game got switched off once prime-time started.

12. Sarah February 17, 2010 / 10:06 am

@CL – Wow. That’s even more complicated than I thought. I thought the deal was simply American Mom, Canadian Dad. But since he has citizenship, he should be allowed the CBC!