Snowmageddon 2010 (Because 2009’s Wasn’t Enough) *UPDATED*

Given how rarely we get major snow here in DC, I really didn’t think anything would top the storm right before Christmas, but I was so, so wrong. We’re approaching two feet on the ground at my apartment, and it is not supposed to stop snowing until 10 pm — nine more hours.

But at least I am not alone this time. My sister-in-law came down last night for the Caps game (more on that later) and got snowed in. We’re going to head outside in a bit to make an attempt at digging out her car, but even if we succeed, it’s not likely she’ll be going anywhere. My street hasn’t seen a plow yet, and the tv news folks are saying that, around the entire area, neighborhood roads are entirely impassible. This is a massive storm, even to two semi-jaded upstate New York/Chicago girls, and one this area is completely unequipped to handle. Thank heaven I had the foresight to buy ingredients for brownies.

Here are a few photos. I’ll update as more snow comes down.

Updatedthe slideshow at 6:20 pm with photos from the big dig-out. Or the first one, anyway.

Vodpod videos no longer available.

17 thoughts on “Snowmageddon 2010 (Because 2009’s Wasn’t Enough) *UPDATED*

1. common loon February 6, 2010 / 1:41 pm

I love the pictures from the Mall. I hope your brother is taking it well?

Dad lost power this morning and expects his phone to go. He has a generator, firewood, and is hunkering down.

@Susan: You’ll be happy this is a weekend storm come June, when you don’t want to be at work another single day ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Susan February 6, 2010 / 4:19 pm

@CL…remind me often…cuz here in Feb. I’m slightly bitter ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

Love the mall shot with the trees….GORGEOUS. And a nice mini-vacation for Jen. Not so much mini-vacation for Bri…heh.heh.heh.

3. Mom February 6, 2010 / 4:28 pm

Sounds like S&J are the lucky ones !! Talked to B and while they are fine, it is boring — too much snow to play in — nearly up to Gavin’s head & after a while outside just too cold & very windy. Plus no tv is a bummer at a time like this. I suggested he try to teach himself to bake cookies and all that got was a quiet grunt ๐Ÿ™‚
    @Loon. If Dad has firewood he may also wind up with neighbors! Sure he will be fine.
    @Sue–did you get any?
    Nothing in Bing–not a flake. Makes me wonder WHEN the other shoe is going to drop here, not IF. Hugs for all!

4. Mom February 6, 2010 / 5:02 pm

Beautiful photos. I could not seem them on my iPhone so just now checked out the computer itself. Hope your backs are not too sore; enjoy the respite from everything else ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Eileen February 6, 2010 / 5:09 pm

Do they have no power or no satellite? If no satellite they at least have DVDs and the Wii. And I’m sure there are Legos to build. And cooking (box brownies perhaps) isn’t so hard. B should be an old hand at this after Jens recent Cali trip!

6. Susan February 6, 2010 / 5:50 pm

We’re just shy of 20″…but surprisingly well plowed…so I’m thinking we’re not even trapped anymore. Which bums me out a bit. Silly really. The girls played out there a while…being taller than all cousins ๐Ÿ™‚ We even relented and let them sled behind a 4 -wheeler (I know Anne would be FREAKING OUT!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ All the neighbor kids were out, now some are in and we’re getting ready to eat a crockpot meal that smells delicious…but usually doesnt live up to the aroma ๐Ÿ™‚ Definitely lucky cuz no power worries really….

7. common loon February 6, 2010 / 5:55 pm

Dad update: after gathering every extension cord in the house and moving all appliances (refrigerator) he wanted to hook up, he was unable to start his generator. Now, he is unhappy b/c the bulk of his firewood pile is in the back corner of the yard and he says the drifts are too big to shovel, so he only has enough firewood for 8 or 10 hours. Sharing this as a chuckle (so far). Oh, and the branches he’s worried about for years (in his neighbor’s yard) are not concerning him, but as soon as the snow melts he may chop down the cherry trees in the backyard.

8. Susan February 6, 2010 / 6:07 pm

Hey…how are you getting through to Dad? Does he love you best????

9. common loon February 6, 2010 / 6:12 pm

He’s been calling us. When he calls he lets me know how low his battery is and I ask if he wants me to pass info along to you and he says “YES PLEASE, that would be GREAT.” He very likely thinks my life is more boring than yours, so I would be easier to reach. And I figured I might be doing you a favor (correct me if I need it)?

10. Mom February 6, 2010 / 6:21 pm

Susan is so very right. NY, PA, MN, etc — all the northern states — have the equip to deal with, so you don’t get that trapped feeling or at least not for very long.

@ Eileen. The satellite dish is buried by over 2′ of snow on the roof. B said the house looks like a snow cave! But yes they do have videos etc. They’ll be fine. ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Susan February 6, 2010 / 6:30 pm

@CL..you’re good. Just wanted to know (sniff, sniff) that I was loved ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Sionna February 6, 2010 / 11:58 pm

@Mom Careful what you wish for. Potential coastal storm on Wednesday could give us ours!

13. Mom February 7, 2010 / 12:46 am

@ Sionna–believe me, I am not WISHING for anything, I just KNOW our turn commeth, Babe!!

14. Susan February 7, 2010 / 9:00 am

Heading to church…our area is handling this amount of snow TOO well. Can I NOT be stuck at home???