Wednesday Winter Wonderland

In what seems like an entirely unprecedented occurrence, DC got this winter’s third snowfall last night. I mean, maybe it’s happened before, but I honestly can’t recall a winter in the time that I’ve lived here that we have had real, measurable snow — not a dusting or the dreaded wintry mix — more than once or twice over the course of the winter. And now it’s happened three times in just over a month, soon to be four, if the forecast is to be believed.

Enough already. If I wanted to shovel, I’d have stayed in New York.

Wednesday Winter Wonderland
Wednesday Winter Wonderland

6 thoughts on “Wednesday Winter Wonderland

1. common loon February 3, 2010 / 7:02 pm

I LOVE the snow on the trees! Driving this morning, the trees here had that light snow / mist that left them glistening like diamonds in the morning sun. The river was open and steam was rising up – truly one of the most beautiful pictures of winter (was driving the bus, so no photo). Now the thing that really strikes me about your picture: the streets are clear / “only” wet. That’s such a good deal: all the beauty, no driving hassle (OK, except for the fact of where you live). Hope you take a break to throw a snowball or two!

2. Mom February 3, 2010 / 8:27 pm

Beautiful pic!!! About the same here this a.m. Surely does brighten the dull/grey landscape. 6 more weeks is a depressing thought. Do wish “Phil” had seen nothing!!! Hugs, Mom

3. Joanne February 3, 2010 / 9:02 pm

I must admit, at 2am this morning as I sat with a screaming Wyatt, the trees and the bright glow of the moonlight on the snow was really beautiful and peaceful. Then I fell asleep on Wyatt’s floor as he screamed himself to sleep, and had the most vivid dream about Purgatory being a freezer, and I was waiting my turn to go up to heaven and warmth, and when it was finally my turn, the lid of the freezer fell on my head. At which point I woke up and realized I was freezing my tushie off and went back to bed (which is upstairs from the kids bedroom, thus the heaven reference). But the trees were still really pretty when I woke up in the morning!

4. Sionna February 3, 2010 / 10:44 pm

Hey! What’s that white stuff on that ground?

5. Susan February 4, 2010 / 6:58 am

I just can’t believe that all the good snow comes on weekends…I WANT MY SNOW DAY!!!!!!

6. common loon February 4, 2010 / 9:45 am

@ Susan: I specifically thought of you this morning and your desire for a snow day when I saw your weekend forecast. I gotta tell you, I had a good laugh (OK, so I’m still chuckling).

@ Mom: Folks here just laughed at Phil, thinking that “only” 6 more weeks of winter would be a very nice treat!!!

I do hope you all snap some lovely pictures of fresh, quiet snow, and that you get a chance to frolic in the moment. It will be gone soon enough, replaced by cherry blossoms.