If Everything has Gone as Planned…

I should be landing in Cario right about now. Assalamu Alaikum, Egypt!

I’ll post pictures and/or stories from my adventures if I find a wifi connection somewhere; if not, keep an eye on the Twitter feed in the sidebar, as that will likely be updated more regularly. This post, however, marks the end of daily blogging until I get back. Enjoy the respite.

8 thoughts on “If Everything has Gone as Planned…

1. Eileen December 26, 2009 / 3:37 pm

If you have been following Facebook or Twitter, you will know that Sarah is still in Europe and no where near Cairo yet. At last check she and her friend are headed to Rome then Cairo (instead of Barcelona then Cairo). Her luggage – well we hope that it arrives with her but will believe it when we see it.

Just an FYI, I will try to post at least a couple of times while she is away, but will hope you understand if baby and house guests keep me from my best intentions.

Merry Christmas and Boxing Day to all. Will update again when I know more about Sarah’s travels.

2. common loon December 26, 2009 / 5:58 pm

Somebody remind Sarah to tell us about Frankfurt security! I think I could use a reason to be even slightly appreciative of TSA.

3. Rudi December 26, 2009 / 7:44 pm

@CL: The security in Frankfurt was likely a bit high due to the “pants-on-fire” bomb attempt, and I can only imagine that the TSA has followed suit. They already have in terms of in-flight rules that resemble the post-9/11 rules for flying into DCA. From Air Canada’s traveler advisory:

“New rules imposed by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration also limit on-board activities by customers and crew in U.S. airspace that may adversely impact on-board service. Among other things, during the final hour of flight customers must remain seated, will not be allowed to access carry-on baggage, or have personal belongings or other items on their laps.”

That leaves a lot open for interpretation. Will iPods be banned for the final hour of flight? How about knitting projects?

And as far as airport security screening is concerned, and knowing the TSA’s hairbrained approach to “security,” I’d think that they’ll be asking everybody to drop trou at the checkpoint. After all, we’ve been removing our shoes since the whole Richard Reid incident – why stop there? It’s like something that was “predicted” in the satirical The 90s: A Look Back, which showed a fictitious story (with picture) telling of the FAA’s new “All Fly Naked” security schema.

4. Eileen December 26, 2009 / 10:25 pm

Sarah has made it to Cairo with plenty of time to make it on to the wedding. Let the adventure commence.

5. sprite December 28, 2009 / 2:01 am

Glad you finally made it!

6. Susan January 1, 2010 / 8:42 pm

I just have to say the lost bag is stressing ME out!!!!!

7. common loon January 3, 2010 / 3:46 pm

Why did Sarah choose NOT to ride a camel? Was she at a horse-racing type event?

8. Sarah January 5, 2010 / 12:50 pm

@Rudi – Alas, the Frankfurt situation was due to epic-level ineptitude, not heightened security.

@CL – I didn’t ride a camel b/c my elephant-riding experience in Thailand was so traumatizing that I’ve sworn off riding giant animals forever.