10 on Tuesday: Holiday Food & Drink

There doesn’t seem to be an “official” 10 on Tuesday blog prompt today, but Hillary has come up with one that she’s using – 10 favorite things to eat/drink at the holidays – which works for me.

1. Christmas cookies. I may have mentioned this already.

2. Gingerbread lattes. My love of these is also well-documented.

3. Cranberry pecan bread. My recipe isn’t super-orangey like some are, which makes it extra tasty.

4. Cranberry salsa. It sounds so wrong, yet tastes so right.

5. Bailey’s Irish Creme. It’s a Christmas Eve tradition, and one of the two exceptions I have to my alcohol-and-dairy-should-not-mix rule.

6. Hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps. The other exception, and a delicious one at that.

7. Latkes. It’s been too long since I’ve had any, but as a New York girl, they still seem like a seasonal staple.

8. Chex Mix. The homemade kind, not the vastly inferior mass-produced variety, and made Grandma-style, wherein mixed nuts are replaced with straight cashews.

9. Stuffing. I like turkey and mashed potatoes and all that jazz, but the dressing is far and away my favorite part of the traditional holiday dinner.

10. Chocolate-covered cherries. My dad & I used to eat more of these than we should have.

8 thoughts on “10 on Tuesday: Holiday Food & Drink

1. wendalicious December 15, 2009 / 10:40 pm

I just discovered chocolate-covered blueberries and cranberries – done cordial-style, like the cherries. So delicious! Found them in the natural foods section?

2. sprite December 16, 2009 / 12:27 am

After your post the other day, I stopped at the local coffeehouse and asked them to make me a gingerbread steamer. It was delicious, so thank you for the inspiration!

Oh, and Rudi and I were going to make latkes one night during Hanukkah, so you’re welcome to join us, if you’d like.

3. Susan December 16, 2009 / 7:22 am

Chocolate crinkles (yours, not mine these days!), crab dip, and anything served on a festive holiday plate. I’m a sucker for presentation…

4. Eileen December 16, 2009 / 9:35 am

@ Susan. Do you have a crab dip recipe?

5. Mom December 16, 2009 / 10:33 am

All sounds yummy to me 🙂

@ Eileen — If Susan doesn’t have a crab dip recipe I’m sure I have one at home. Tina D’s and I recall it being very good. I can dig it out tonight.

6. common loon December 16, 2009 / 2:03 pm

@ Eileen: Beware of Sue’s recipe. I remember her making it several years back when oldest was very young and middle was younger, if even around. I thought I was giving them “safe, healthy” food as Nana & GranDad weren’t offering much well-rounded fare. I consoled myself about their lack of a balanced diet with memories of how meticulously Sue looked after her kids and I was confident that she was still that same health-concerned individual. And then Sue gave me the good news about what very little nutritive value the carb dip had was negated by the insane volume of mayonaise and the like.

@ Sarah, Hersheys now makes kisses with Irish Creme in them. Everyone here, except me, is very much into eggnog. I agree with everything on your list (esp. crinkles), and would add homemade pierogies (served w/kielbasa & cabbage).

7. Susan December 16, 2009 / 4:14 pm

@CL- Bah humbug!
    @Eileen…I’ll share…when I dig it out…and it ain’t healthy 🙂

8. Hillary December 18, 2009 / 10:34 am

That’s a great list I’m happy to provide a little inspiration. I finally made my latkes last night and the Gingerbread Latte’s are a favorite of mine as well.