Wednesday Random Ten

Earlier this week on his blog, Roon noted the Wednesday Random Ten as “a meme [I] used to feature on [my] blog.” That got me thinking… Why don’t I do it anymore, at least once in a while? Since I am trying* to get back on the blogging wagon, today seemed as good a day as any to revive it. Play along in the comments if you so desire.

1. Fast Car, Tracy Chapman
  2. Top of the World, Patty Griffin
  3. Least Complicated (live), Indigo Girls
  4. Just Like California, Old 97’s
  5. Wash Away, Joe Purdy
  6. Levater, Yael Naim
  7. Too Much Time on My Hands, Styx
  8. Judas My Heart, Belly
  9. Without Expression, John Mellencamp
  10. A Sorta Fairytale, Tori Amos

Wow. For the most part, that’s way too mellow a list for first thing in the morning —  I need something peppier to get me going. I don’t even recall hearing the Old 97’s song; I had to go back and look when I realized my count and my iPhone’s count were not the same. The first three tracks had, apparently, lulled me to sleep a bit.

* I know, I know… “Do, or do not. There is no try.”

12 thoughts on “Wednesday Random Ten

1. sionna December 2, 2009 / 12:04 pm

Caveat – Between losing a third of my music from my external drive and re-building said library onto my new iPod Touch, my current playlist is woefully small. This probably won’t be that exciting but here goes…

1. Shooting the Moon – New Moon Soundtrack
    2. How to Save a Life – Grey’s Anatomy Soundtrack
    3. Silent Night – Sarah McLachlan (Time for Xmas music!)
    4. Multiply – Grey’s Anatomy Soundtrack (see? dups already!)
    5. My Immortal – Evanescence
    6. Mama Who Bore Me (Reprise) – Spring Awakening Original Cast Recording
    7. I’m Free – Soup Dragons
    8. Uninvited – Alanis Morissette
    9. Gloria – U2
    10. You Won’t Succeed on Broadway – Spamalot Original Cast Recording

Hmmm, that turned out to be more eclectic than I thought.

2. sprite December 2, 2009 / 12:45 pm

From the work computer:

1. “Secret Blue Thread” — The Winterpills
    2. “Crazy, Crazy, Crazy” — Michael Franti & Spearhead
    3. “Big Red Machine” — Justin Vernon & Aaron Dessner
    4. “Here Comes My Baby” — Cat Stevens
    5. “Some Other Town” — Susan Werner
    6. “All I Have” — A.J. Croce
    7. “I’m a Believer” — Smash Mouth
    8. “Beesting” — The Winterpills (Huh! Guess that shows random works…)
    9. “Any Way I Do” — Tracy Grammer
    10. “Something To See” — Tracy Chapman (Two Tracy’s in a row!)

What this exercise really points out is that I do not have enough Christmas music in the office…

3. sprite December 2, 2009 / 12:46 pm

P.S.: From one grammar snob to another: Italics?

4. Sarah December 2, 2009 / 1:10 pm

@sprite – Italics rather than quotes, you mean? I tend to think that a numbered list plus quotation marks plus comma/em dash to offset the artist just equals too much punctuation, at least online. And while I am a grammar snob, I’m a flexible one to some extent.

5. Rudi December 2, 2009 / 1:16 pm

The rule in most U.S. style guides is:

– Italics for album titles
    – Quotes for song titles
    – Indifference for artist names

Or something like that.

Now, for my (sorta) random 10, plucked only from 2009 releases:

1. “Round Here” – Middle Distance Runner (from The Sun & Earth)
    2. “Intro” – N.A.S.A. (from Spirit of Apollo)
    3. “Alcoholics Unanimous” – Art Brut (from Art Brut vs. Satan)
    4. “I Am Your Skin” – The Bravery (from Stir The Blood)
    5. “I’m Free” – The Smithereens (from The Smithereens Play “Tommy”)
    6. “Blackie’s Dead [Demo]” – Pete Yorn & Scarlett Johansson (from Break Up)
    7. “A Loaded Smile” – Adam Lambert (from For Your Entertainment)
    8. “Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey” – Radar Bros. (from RAM On L.A.)
    9. “I Am” – Richard Shindell (from Mariana’s EP)
    10. “Outro (AKA: I’m A Fool To Want You)” – M. Ward (from Hold Time)

I’ll be posting my own random 10 on my blog sometime today, as well.

6. common loon December 2, 2009 / 1:30 pm

We’ve switched to the radio stations playing 24/7 Christmas music. Gives our ipods a break…and boy does everything on the ipod sound GREAT and FRESH come the 26th!!!

7. Mom December 2, 2009 / 3:12 pm

Me too CL — glad to know someone younger than me likes “elevator” music too especially at Christmas.

8. sprite December 3, 2009 / 4:13 pm

Snow!!! On a 65 degree day! Awesome!

9. Sarah December 3, 2009 / 5:35 pm

@Mom & @Common Loon – I’ve been listening to Christmas music since Thanksgiving morning. I just took a break from it yesterday. And Mom, Christmas music doesn’t have to be elevator music. I have some quite peppy and rock and rolly stuff.

@sprite – It actually showed up yesterday. I apparently forgot to uncheck the box at the end of last year, so it showed up automagically. I like that it’s snowing on a photo of a burning-hot sun in Wadi Rum.

10. common loon December 3, 2009 / 5:45 pm

@ Sarah & Mom: One of my favorites is the BNL & Sarah McLachlan – not exactly elevator music. Oh, and the there’s the BOSS!!!

11. Dan December 6, 2009 / 8:49 pm

Hey, I know its four days later, but that’s when I’m reading this. And since I’m actually listening to my iPod…

1. Without Rhyme Or Reason — Bob Dourough