DIY (Do It Yourself) Girl

No, this post was not written by Sarah (DIY would not be shocking for her).

Our nursery has been a project in progress for several weeks.  The theme has been determined for months (safari) but the details have been s-l-o-w in coming together. Actually, so has this post – I started it August 28 and here we are…

I started the nursery project back in July when Aaron Brothers had their buy one frame get one for a penny sale. (Isn’t this how everyone starts a room decor project?) This is when the frames were purchased for the safari animal pictures using pictures taken on my trips to Africa (either  by me or by traveling companions with better cameras).

We also found the crib months ago.

I found the perfect paint (seriously, its “safari green”) about a month ago; and a suitable bedspread for the guest bed (which will stay in the nursery).

Chris’s mom offered to sew curtains and accessories and I have after several expeditions to various stores, I finally picked the fabric (with an assist from Chris). Last Thursday and Friday we had a sewing extravaganza – we made 4 pillows, two bed skirts (one bed & one crib), and curtains for two windows. I’m really pleased with how all this turned out and can’t wait to set it all up properly!

And of course, the girls picked the perfect bookcase to complete the room. (I’m pretty sure Ikea also has the rocking chair I’d like to sit in front of the bookcase.)

So where is the DIY in all of this? The sheet rock was badly damaged up when we had the foundation fixed last fall (including the ceiling). We had determined that professional intervention was necessary. That was until I got the quote for $525 plus paint. Money ain’t growing on trees folks, and after helping my friends Janet and Dave paint in their new house, I decided we/I could do this. I invited a DIY friend to assess the situation and shop Home Depot with me and (after loaning me a couple of pieces of equipment) I had everything I needed to start. (That was the last week of August!)  So far, I have spacled and taped and floated.  I have also stripped and pulled wire.

The plan was to caulk the next day and after a break for Labor Day weekend, retexture and hopefully by the 12th have paint on the walls;  then can get the crib and build it.  I was hoping to be all done by the 20th. So much for that idea.

At the same time, now that my to-do list is out there for the world to see, perhaps it will get done sooner than later. Oh, and then there is the fact that we could get the call any day now.  There is that motivation too 🙂 [Of course, we may also find that we get a 4 year old to start with, which would really change things up!]

In any case, I shall try to post updates (with pictures) as we go along.  And no, I didn’t take before pictures (oops).

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “DIY (Do It Yourself) Girl

  1. Mom September 22, 2009 / 7:54 pm

    Grandpa McG would be overly proud of you!! The apple hasn’t fallen farfrom the tree! I did a lot of that stuff and had no idea how it was going to turn out. But WALLH!! We can do it!! GOOD FOR YOU. Can’t wait to see it! Love ya! Mom

  2. Common Loon September 22, 2009 / 9:55 pm

    Don’t “try” to post updates with pictures – DO IT!!! Can’t wait to see!!!

    “Do or do not. There is no try.” Yoda, Jedi Master

Comments are closed.