10 on Tuesday: Bad Habits

Today’s suggested 10 on Tuesday topic is “bad habits you can’t break.” Given that I am — like most people — chock full of them, this is a pretty easy one, I think. And, as a bonus, commentary/rationalizations are provided for each.

1. I bite my fingernails. (Gross, I know.)

2. I rarely put my clothes directly into the hamper when I get undressed. (To my credit, I don’t leave them on the floor nearly as long as I used to. Baby steps…)

3. Related to the above, I rarely put anything back in its proper place immediately when I am done with it. (This despite the fact that I do actually prefer living in a tidy home to a cluttered one. Yeah; I don’t get it either.)

4. I am a world-class procrastinator. (I have, however, gotten much better at productive procrastination, so while I may not be doing exactly what I should, I am often getting something done.)

5. I am not especially punctual. (Though I am rarely more than 15 minutes late, which I rationalize as being “reasonable” even though I know it really isn’t.)

6. I play too much solitaire on my phone. (Related to #4 or #5? You decide… )

7. I watch too much television. (Often while playing solitaire on my phone. It’s like multi-tasking, only way less productive.)

8. I spend too much money/don’t save enough. (Thankfully, I have automatic payroll deductions for the retirement account. I may prioritize traveling over saving, but I’m not stupid.)

9. I am terrible at getting out of bed in the morning. (I’m not sure if this is a habit, exactly, but it is something I wish I could improve, since I can’t seem to convert the world away from the dominance of the morning people.)

10. I don’t exercise. (I can have a habit of not doing something, right? Or does that not make any sense?)

15 thoughts on “10 on Tuesday: Bad Habits

1. Judi September 8, 2009 / 2:25 pm

I hear you!

2. Common Loon September 8, 2009 / 10:03 pm

My current top 2 (if I fix one, there’s a host of others lining up to fill “the void”): wasting time on the computer (free cell or soduku) and an obsession with chocolate (for example, I put fruit in the kids pancakes or oatmeal, but load mine with chocolate chips). If I cleaned my house instead of my “screen time,” my house would be sterile, neat, and organized. If I ate as healthfully as I am encouraging my children to do, there would be no middle-aged sag or need to workout to keep the sag from dropping to a droop.

3. wendalicious September 8, 2009 / 10:09 pm

Sarah:
    If I compiled my Top Ten Bad Habits, they would be absolutely identical to yours, including #1. Seriously.

4. Susan September 9, 2009 / 5:06 pm

Ummm..my bad habit..would mine be pride cuz I don’t wanna list the top 10 publicly?

I have issues with some of your bad habits. Is #2 really a bad habit? Is anyone hurt by this? You’re thinking outside the bin..er…box.

#8…I think you are showing a healthy attitude…not a miser, not a spendthrift.

#6….I think it is FAR more pathetic that I play Webkinz. How can an otherwise normal adult really like Tile Towers so much?

#10…don’t you walk all over the place? That’s what everybody else gets told to do all the time.

Pretty soon, I bet I could make your list virtues, not vices. Of course, maybe I have a bad habit of rationalizing?

5. Sarah September 9, 2009 / 5:37 pm

@ Common Loon – I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that chocolate is good for you, so don’t sweat that one. 🙂

@ Wendy – I can’t say I’m surprised by any of them except #6. I didn’t know you had the solitaire addiction, too.

@ Susan – You are an awesome rationalizer! Very well done! And you’re right, no one is hurt by #2 (or 3) but I do like to keep a tidy place, despite my constant self-sabotage, which is why they count for me. And I rationalize #10 exactly as you do… except that now that I have been car-less and walking-dependent for so long, I don’t think it really does much for my fitness. I need to do more, I guess.

6. Eileen September 9, 2009 / 10:18 pm

I have had a day that has driven #1 home in the most numbing way…

1. I have very little self discipline, which really bugs me. If I actually did the things I know I could make myself do, I’d be much more productive and smarter. I’d also be skinnier!

2. I also procrastinate – which is similar to no. 1 but different. (No. 1 + No. 2 = lethal combination)

3. I’m never punctual; I’m either early or late and 90 percent of the time I’m late (although like Sarah not super late). It’s rude. It’s disrespectful. I have tried to change…so far I’ve only made modest improvements.

4. I also watch way too much t.v. Even when I am not watching, I still have it on. It’s like my Linus blanket.

5. I pick at my cuticles, generally until they bleed.

6. I love gingerale. Would drink only gingerale if I could and not be a beached whale. I’ve been told to eliminate it…I can’t. I can’t even stick to one can a day, which I have also tried. (According to Dr. Phil that one can a day is 15 lbs., I can only imagine what my actual consumption is – plus its expensive.)

I don’t want to think of any more. I am depressed enough just listing 1-6. 😦

7. Joanne September 9, 2009 / 10:56 pm

Eileen, mine is Coke. I easily drink a ton a day. And I call BS on Dr. Phil. I gave up Coke for Lent before my wedding, and I sure as hell didn’t lose 15 pounds. Whatev.

8. Susan September 10, 2009 / 7:27 am

@Eileen
    You’re wrong. 1 and 2 are the same…therefore, they are only 1 flaw. And really not so much a flaw as a life-goal. It is in fact admirable that self discipline is one of your core beliefs and life goals.

#3 You have been influenced by your travels and are simply using the rest of the world’s time schedule…as a mere suggestion, not as some whip to be cracked
    :-)…You are so cosmopolitan!!

#4 You are attuned to the world around you…not self-centeredly focusing on just you!

#5….give me a minute…

#6 Ginger is actually a wonderful digestive aid and has calming qualities. In fact, more of us should follow your example.

OK…I’m stuck on 5. One flaw. If you didn’t have it, we’d hate you 🙂

9. Eileen September 10, 2009 / 8:18 am

@Susan -you’re awesome. Just curious, are your talents only applied to adult excuses? I can’t imagine your kids (at home or in school) get away with such creative thinking 🙂 miss you.

10. common loon September 10, 2009 / 9:24 am

@ Eileen: I apologize for not having ANY Gingerale in the house during your visit. That means that you went 4 full days WITHOUT. That’s the majority of a week. Did you lose weight because of that? Did you become rich because of that? I REST MY CASE.

I believe Susan’s kids – HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the oldest one!!! – have inherited some of their mom’s gift.

11. Mom September 10, 2009 / 1:40 pm

Notice I am not weighing in on habits (good or bad), just enjoying listening to you ladies go at it!
    BUT, I want to wish Ms. “M” a VERY, VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY too — one more year until you are OFFICIALLY A TEENAGER. Y E A H !!

12. susan September 10, 2009 / 9:12 pm

I encourage creative thinking…but I must admit I’m less tolerant when they (my kids or students)think I’ll fall for their lines. Though I do APPRECIATE a good excuse, I rarely let it alter the consequences that are set.

Sadly…or is it happily…I can make excuses for just about anyhting 🙂
    See ya soon…

13. susan September 10, 2009 / 9:12 pm

BTW…Meg loved the mentions…

14. wendalicious September 11, 2009 / 8:06 pm

Wendy’s Bad Habit #11:
    Not reading things carefully enough. I do not have a solitaire addiction. I cannot even PLAY solitaire on my phone.