Oh No! The Internet is Broken!

OK, not the whole internet. Just Twitter. And LiveJournal. And Facebook, at least a little.

The non-broken parts of the internet are abuzz with news of a massive denial of service attack on Twitter, and I can’t help but wonder if the related downtime on Facebook is due to a jillion disgruntled Twitterers all landing on FB at once to bitch.

I’m happy to report TechCrunch has a very helpful list of things to to when Twitter is down.  (Without this, I’d have to turn my attention back to work. Bleh.) I’ve done 2, 6, and 12 so far, and with this post now have 8 covered. Whew.

I’m reading now that Twitter is back up, so I’ll see if I can finally send that work-related (seriously) tweet like I was planning to do when this whole thing started. If not, I’ll be moving on to #15 shortly.

10 thoughts on “Oh No! The Internet is Broken!

1. Susan August 6, 2009 / 12:48 pm

We’re so different… absolutely NONE of those broken things matter to me. I don’t even know what one of them is! Now if your blog stopped working…

2. Roon August 6, 2009 / 1:04 pm

I’m telling you, this outage has just thrown my whole day off! What does that say about me?

3. Mom August 6, 2009 / 1:27 pm

It was the WHOLE internet. RoadRunner was insufferably slow this morning! Roon, I think we’ve all become victims of this technology — I know I boot up upon arising and that’s before Keurig can brew my first cup (and that takes less than 3 minutes).

@ Susan — that’s got to be the “H” in you — resistence to technology 🙂

4. Common Loon August 6, 2009 / 1:51 pm

@ Susan: Seriously? If your paper was still unwritten and due tomorrow, me thinks at least one of those things would have a deflating impact on your life.

5. sionna August 6, 2009 / 2:01 pm

It’s all over the place. Yesterday Amazon was mostly broken, RR has been v-e-e-r-r-y s-l-o-w and even WordPress is slogging along a bit.

Netvibes (my reader) has been intermittently out and lots of my widgets needed to be re-widgeted (yes, that’s my technical term).

Whatever it is spreading or being overwhelmed thanks to the Twitter outtage.

Sounds like Twitter took it on the chin because their security is a bit lacking.

6. Susan August 6, 2009 / 5:21 pm

@CL…Yup…seriously. Cuz she SAID it wasn’t the WHOLE internet. Now if it were the WHOLE thing…that might bug me. But since I’ve already finished and turned in my paper (hear that bragging???)…maybe not!! 🙂

7. Joanne August 6, 2009 / 8:44 pm

This is the joy of not having internet access at work. There was a DOS attack today??

8. Mom August 6, 2009 / 9:22 pm

@ Joanne — H O W does an office work without internet access? What kind of office? Hey, even lawyers in Bingo “finally” got there a few years ago!!

9. Joanne August 6, 2009 / 9:46 pm

Mom–an office that deals with classified information all day. We have computers, but not connected to the outside world. 🙂

10. Sarah August 6, 2009 / 9:54 pm

@ Susan – LiveJournal (the one I am guessing you don’t know about) is another blogging platform… So it was just luck of the draw that my blog didn’t go down. 🙂

@ Mom – the DoS attack today was just aimed at social networking sites; the RR slowness was most likely unrelated. (Which doesn’t make it any less of a PITA, I realize.)

@ Roon – I was so glad to have baseball tickets this afternoon (covering #15). I don’t think I could have stood being at work all afternoon. You and I both have too much actual work-related social networking to do for an outage not to mess up our day.

@ Joanne – You miss all the fun in you little national security bubble. 😉