So, I found out via sprite’s blog that there is an “official” Ten on Tuesday blog, wherein many get their weekly list prompts. This week’s topic is 10 favorite tv characters, which seemed easy enough to do, and so I started in on it. But then I got up this morning and discovered that Paste magazine’s List of the Day blog had posted their 20 favorite U2 songs. Given that I like U2 at least as much as — and possibly more than — I like R.E.M., I felt like I needed to make a list for them, too (though sans descriptions; I do have to get to work). And so, two tens today. It’s an embarrassment of riches, I tell you.
10 Favorite Television Characters:
1. Buffy Summers, Buffy the Vampire Slayer – Buffy was both a badass super-hero and also a shockingly normal person; she managed to grow from teen to 20-something in a realistic, relatable way… even with all the vampires and monsters running around.
2. Sawyer, Lost – If there is one thing that is true about the characters that I have big, giant tv-crushes on, it’s that they tend to be the kinds of guys I would not tolerate for one minute in real life. Sawyer is one of those — a murderer, con-man, and general SOB, yet entirely irresistible. I don’t know if it’s the dimples or the wisecracks, but wow.
3. Don Draper, Mad Men – See above, just replace the description with habitual liar and unrepentant philanderer (keep general SOB), and I don’t know if its the suits or the cool, but he’s also just… wow.
4. Lenny Briscoe, Law & Order – The show has not been the same since this careworn cop cleaned out his desk.
5. Mary Ingalls, Little House on the Prairie – Laura was, of course, the star and got all the fame, but I always related more to Mary — maybe because she, like me, was a big sister? I thought she was beautiful and wanted to be her when I grew up. Well, until she went blind and her baby died in a fire, that is.
6. Radar O’Reilly, M*A*S*H – Maybe it’s the teddy bear?
7. Alex P. Keaton, Family Ties – He somehow made being a devotee of Reagan funny, not scary.
8. Leroy Jethro Gibbs, NCIS – Mark Harmon. Need I say more? (I might, actually. I’ve been sitting on a draft post of my new-found obsession with NCIS, because it’s just so embarrassing.)
9. Lily Walsh, As the World Turns – The summer after 8th (or maybe it was 9th?) grade, Lily was the female half of that year’s hottest soap romance (for teens, anyway). She was a rich spoiled brat in looooove with Holden, the super-sexy stable boy at her mansion. I wanted to be her way more than I wanted to be Mary Ingalls, and for very different reasons.
10. Diane Chambers, Cheers – Sure, she was annoying, but she was also funny. And having spent a certain amount of my life as an over-educated waitress, I get her now in a way I didn’t when the show was on originally.
Ten Favorite U2 Songs:
- Running to Stand Still
- Pride (in the Name of Love)
- So Cruel
- All I Want is You
- Walk On
- Stay (Faraway, So Close)
Share your version of either — or both — lists in the comments.