Sticky Books

It feels like been a while since I’ve done anything meme-y, and even longer, I think since I’ve done a Booking Through Thursday one, but this one looked fun and easy. And, Joanne tagged me on it on Facebook, which I thought was cool — I didn’t know it had made the jump to FB. But because sprite introduced me to it a million years ago as a blog meme, I am posting it here.

Booking through Thursday for June 4:

“This can be a quick one. Don’t take too long to think about it. Fifteen books you’ve read that will always stick with you. First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes.”

1. The Bluest Eye, Toni Morrison
  10. Little House on the Prairie – Laura Ingalls Wilder
  11. My Life in France, Julia Child
  12. Tess of the D’Urbervilles, Thomas Hardy
  13. Under the Tuscan Sun, Frances Mayes
  14. Alias Grace, Margaret Atwood
  15. First they Killed my Father, Loung Ung

Funny enough, one of these books sticks with me because it’s a book beloved by most that I absolutely hate. Any guesses?

8 thoughts on “Sticky Books

1. Megan June 5, 2009 / 8:58 am

How could I have forgotten The Diary of Anne Frank?! I read it when I was 12 — definitely changed my views on history, life, etc. My mom gave it to me and said it was important for me to read. How true! 🙂 Great list!

2. Common Loon June 5, 2009 / 9:01 am

Oh I wish I could participate! Because I am currently reading so much with the kids, many of my titles have been dropped from mind as I race to keep pace with kids (which is cool, but it’s actually becoming a bit of work as one of them is CONSUMED with reading – for the moment). An attempt, without authors / publishers:

Tale of Two Cities
    Three Musketeers
    Anne of Green Gables (entire series)
    Bible (one chronological, then in some different translations)
    Birth Order Book
    Chesapeake
    Little Boy
    I’ll Love You Forever
    East of Eden
    A Mind at a Time
    The Life You’ve Always Wanted

3. sprite June 5, 2009 / 4:41 pm

Well, I’d like it to be #13 you hated, but I’m going to guess that it’s Wuthering Heights.

4. Sarah June 5, 2009 / 5:02 pm

@ sprite – Actually, I thought Under the Tuscan Sun was a lovely book, and it absolutely sparked my (still unsatisfied) desire to go to Italy. The movie, however, was a travesty and had almost nothing in common with the book beyond the title. But you’re right — it is Wuthering Heights that I hate. I can’t fathom why the story of two unpleasant people bickering each other to death is considered the greatest love story ever.

5. sprite June 5, 2009 / 5:19 pm

Sarah, I’ll have to go back to my book journals, because I thought it was Under the Tuscan Sun I was really unimpressed with. Tuscany was a really popular topic for books for a couple of years, so it could be I’m erroneously assigning negativity from someone else’s book. And as for Wuthering Heights, I first read it in middle school, when my overly dramatic and sensitive 13-year-old self thought it was the Best.Thing.Ever. A later re-reading in grad school suggested it might just have been a teen angst thing.

6. Sarah June 5, 2009 / 5:24 pm

@sprite – Yeah, I was almost 30 by the time I read Wuthering Heights, so any teen angst angle was lost on me. I can, however, totally see how it could have that sort of appeal. And, well, if it turns out you did hate Under the Tuscan Sun, I’m sure we can agree to disagree on that.

7. Eileen June 7, 2009 / 12:08 am

1. The Lorax, Dr. Seuss (also Oh, the Places You’ll Go)
    2. Nancy Drew, Carolyn Keene (all of them!)
    3. Tiger Eyes, Judy Blume
    4. Playing Murder, Sandra Scoppetone
    5. The Killer Angels, Michael Shaara
    6. My Traitors Heart, Rian Malan
    7. First They Killed My Father, Luong Ung
    8. The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver
    9. The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini
    10. We Wish to Inform You that Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families, Philip Gourevich
    11. The Unwanted, Kien Nguyen
    12. The Tapestries, Kien Nguyen
    13. Same Kind of Different as Me, Ron Hall, Denver Moore & Lynn Vincent
    14. The Glass Castle, Jeannette Walls
    15. The Giving Tress, Shel Silverstein

8. Eileen June 7, 2009 / 12:09 am

Oops. #15 should be “The Giving Tree.” I hate my keyboard.