What a Difference One Day Makes

It’s funny that I posted relentlessly optimistic yesterday.  Well, not funny, ironic maybe?  I went to bed in tears last night.  I do that a lot on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  Those are my thigh shot nights – and they suck.

We’ve never had great thighs in the family.  But in this case, my extra fat layer should be a good thing – the shots go in best in places where you can pinch up a couple inches of fat.  My thighs ought to be excellent candidates.  But for whatever reason, over the last three weeks, the shot spots puff unusually, then they get a raised hard spot overnight, ranging from golf ball to grapefruit size.  It only actually hurts for a few minutes but it is ugly and bruises.  And it is not supposed to work this way.  None of my other shot spots do this.  So I get frustrated, and mad.  Since I’m a bit of a perfectionist, my inability to get this shot spot “right” is pissing me off.  I hate this stupid disease.

And though I’ve never looked great in a bathing suit, this is going to make the Wednesday play date at the pool with my girlfriends all the more difficult to actually get me in my suit in public.  One bright spot – never loved my freckles so much – you can never tell where my arm shots go cause they are well camouflaged (and nobody but Chris sees my hips and my belly).

In case you are wondering, those are the seven shot spots – thighs, upper arm (fleshy/tricep side), hips (think pants pockets), and stomach.  One spot for each day of the week is the rotation. The spot I was most afraid of was my stomach.  Oddly, that is actually my favorite spot – rarely hurts and plenty of jelly roll / muffin top to absorb the needle. 🙂 I have a special auto injector which lets me set the needle depth.  Its actually a very well thought out plan and once you get used to it, it’s pretty easy.

Update: I talked to the nurse who trained me (Cindy) this afternoon.  We’re going to get together next week – probably Tuesday – to do it together so we can figure out where the thigh is going wrong.  Cindy says crying should not be part of the process! (BTW, when she first trained me, she asked which shot I was least inclined to [stomach] and we did that one together – smart lady.)

10 thoughts on “What a Difference One Day Makes

1. Mom May 29, 2009 / 5:43 am

Ohhhhhhhhh. I am so sad for you. That sounds dreadful. I do hope Cindy can help; in any event, don’t let that swelling persist. There has got to be a better spot. Wish, oh wish, there was “magic medicine” for this one.

2. Common Loon May 29, 2009 / 9:31 am

Tuesday is only a few days away and no thigh shots until you meet with a professional – so yeah! And I don’t think I have ever ever ever been content with how I look in a bathing suit, in public or in my own backyard wading pool, if that is any consolation. So I’m very impressed that you made a playdate at the pool anyways!!! You have some great girlfriends. I do hope that seeing them picked you up!

3. sionna May 29, 2009 / 1:49 pm

Not that this is in ANY WAY comparable, I get monthly allergy shots to the back of my upper arm and I can empathize on problematic “shot-spots”.

If I get a new nurse that doesn’t read my chart notes and applies them more to the front or side of my arm, I end up these large, itchy, painful welts at the site because the fluid pools there. Not fun. It hurts to sleep on my side as a result. 😦

Apparently it does matter on angle and placement…point
    being, I’m sure they can work this out with a little trial and error to find the best way for you. (HUGS!)

And sister, after 30, no one’s thighs looks that great in a bathing suit unless you are rich and get liposuction….or you have incredible genetics and metabolism! And if they are real friends, they aren’t gonna care. 🙂

4. mev May 29, 2009 / 3:17 pm

If it is any consolation, your friends (if they are like most people) will be stressing about how they look in a bathing suit and wouldn’t notice if you were in a Big Bird costume.
    I’m glad Cindy is going to help on this. Sometimes you have to be a very squeaky wheel and not be shy about asking for help.

5. susan May 29, 2009 / 3:44 pm

Again…proud of you. Me..I’d whine, but not doing anything proactive about it. You? You call and get the ‘curbside service’ option.

@mev…totally agree. No one cares what anyone ELSE looks like in their suit ‘cuz we’re all too worried about what WE lool like!

6. Common Loon May 29, 2009 / 5:36 pm

@ Susan & mev: Unless you’re slightly psycho, like me, and look over at the 300+ pound lady who is having the time of her life, and actually think, “WOW! How come she can pull it off (the bathing suit) and I can’t?”

7. Sarah May 29, 2009 / 6:07 pm

To be honest, I am a huge baby when it comes to shots, so all of your choices sound both ooogy and painful. That said, doing the shots beats the hell out of the alternative, so good on you for jumping in to the program.

Gotta agree with all above re: the swimsuit issue. Unless you’re hanging at the pool with super-buff celebrities or something, pretty much everyone there is too hung up on their own (supposed) imperfections to see yours.

@ CL – I think the key with the woman you see is probably confidence/positive body image. It’s my understanding that it works wonders, though I don’t have a clue in hell as to how you get it. It seems to be a rare and randomly-distributed commodity.

8. Mom May 29, 2009 / 6:29 pm

The reality is that WE ARE WHAT WE ARE! Genetically, that is! We cannot change that except with rare exceptions. So, guess body image falls into the category of accepting what we cannot change because time has proven that we can diet & exercise ourselves into “buff” but the minute/day/week/month we stop, the bod goes right back to “itself”. So, enuf diet & exercise to be as healthy as we can as long as we can, and so be it! Drape it attractively; don’t stuff the proverbial 10 pounds in the 5 pound sack, do what you can with hair, make-up, nails etc. to draw the eye to the “best” parts, and BE HAPPY! After all, God made us all the way we are — and really, we wouldn’t notice or lust after buff if there was nothing else to compare it with 🙂