See You in October

Well, that was an ending I didn’t see coming. Not so much that the Caps lost; it was the final game in a series where three games went into overtime and only one game was decided by more than a single point, so losing was always a possibility. No, it was the utter collapse that surprised me. As Brian so aptly said as we were leaving the Verizon Center, it was pre-season hockey in a game seven. (Eileen’s reaction is here.)

Tomorrow, we may know more about why — there are reports now that a huge number of guys were injured, including defenseman Tom Poti, who has apparently played the entire series on a broken foot (ow!), as well as Ovie, Alexander Semin, and Mike Green. The last two are not surprising at all — Semin and Green have really been off their games this series, and Green’s whole “I had to switch to a different kind of stick” excuse just seemed too lame to be believable.

Though the end was disappointing, it was still an amazing season. Those of us who stayed ’til the end (read: not the bandwagon fans) started our standing-O at two minutes left in the game. Obviously, we’re all sorry to be out of the playoffs, but think about it — in a season and a half, the Caps gone from the worst team in the NHL to repeating Southeastern Division champs and made it to game seven of the semi-finals for the Eastern Conference. That’s pretty damned impressive. And our team is still so young — we have plenty of time to build. The Stanley Cup will be in the Nation’s Capital soon enough.

So, Washington Capitals, thanks for all the great hockey, and see you in October. Let’s go Caps!

7 thoughts on “See You in October

1. Mom May 14, 2009 / 7:45 am

A depressing/disappointing end for sure, but what FUN, FUN, FUN you’ve had all season. Hooray for the CAPS and all the season-long loyal fans!! Will we all now get on the 6.5’s bandwagon and root for the Red Wings? (CL: Did I remember his team right??) Have a good day everyone!

2. Eileen May 14, 2009 / 9:36 am

Hell no. Red Wings SUCK (sorry CL kiddo 1.0). It was an impressive season – I just wish we had more of the games here in TX. Here is a competition to watch – which comes to DC first Lord Stanely’s Cup or Eileen & Chris?

3. Common Loon May 14, 2009 / 9:42 am

I hope your talent scout doesn’t screw around too much with what you’ve got. The Cup is on it’s way to DC, as long as you don’t get some average-scout who thinks he’s more than that who tinkers too much with your recipe. A fun season. We look forward to joining you next post-season (go WILD)!

4. Susan May 14, 2009 / 10:41 am

I just think it is hysterical that we spent Lauren’s birthday dinner with her friends (10 and 12 year old girls)watching Sportscenter at Moe’s and analyzing Aunt sarah’s conversion…to die hard fan 🙂

Speaking as someone who cares not a whit about hockey…you make a convincing case that you’ll get ’em next year 🙂

5. Sionna May 14, 2009 / 1:32 pm

Awww bummer…but welcome to the wacky world of sports fanaticism. It will bring you up so high and then crash you right to the ground (sometimes leaving a crater).

But you enjoyed the ride right? 😉

6. Sarah May 15, 2009 / 11:14 pm

@ Susan – Oh, goodness… I hope Lauren didn’t mind! The die-hard thing is weird, I’ll grant you. I’ve always been a hockey fan, but not of any specific team. Maybe this is a sign that I’m officially a Washingtonian?

@ Common Loon – Yeah, I don’t want them to change much, though we could use maybe another defenseman or two, and if Nylander goes, we’ll need another center.

@ Eileen – What do you mean, will the cup get here before you & Chris? Are you referring to when you move back for good? ‘Cause you sure as hell better visit sooner than that, given that we’re out of the running for this year.

@ Mom & Sionna – Thanks for the sympathy… And yes, it was a fun, thoroughly enjoyable season!

7. Eileen May 15, 2009 / 11:36 pm

@ Sarah – YES I meant move back. Wild horses couldn’t keep me from DC for more than a few more weeks…its already been WAY too long since we’ve visited. (I had hoped to maintain a quarterly schedule, but it seems we’ve slipped to bi-annual. We’ve gotta work on that!)