Cheers, PB&J, and WiFi

It’s Monday again, and a chilly, rainy one at that, which means it’s probably a better-than-usual time for looking back at three beautiful things from last week:

1. The explosion of emotion when the Caps scored the game-winning goal against the Rangers was amazing — five solid minutes of people standing and cheering, which only got louder after the game-ending buzzer rang.

2. Peanut butter & jelly with my mom’s homemade strawberry freezer jam tastes like being five again. Yum!

3. After much tinkering — none of which was beautiful — Jen and I finally got my mom’s new wireless router installed. No longer having to wait to check email or look something up is definitely a beautiful thing.

21 thoughts on “Cheers, PB&J, and WiFi

1. Mom May 4, 2009 / 6:32 pm

Woo Hoo!! Mom’s house made two out of TBTs!! My TBTs were having you, Jen & grand boys here for 3 days! Lots of fun with the boys and you two and all my new tech toys πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

2. Eileen May 5, 2009 / 8:30 am

After making fresh raspberry jam at CL’s last year and stealing some of Mom’s strawberry freezer jam last visit, I too have rediscovered the love of the PB&J. So yummy!

3. Susan May 5, 2009 / 10:00 am

We put strawberry freezer jam on pancakes…with whip cream. And on ice cream…homemade vanilla. Just saying, if you like it in PB & J…there are really unhealthy ways to enjoy it, too! πŸ™‚

4. common loon May 5, 2009 / 10:44 am

I will vouch for Eileen’s rediscovered love!!!

@ Susan: BUT…do you first put chocolate chips in those “homemade” pancakes before the toppings??? And if that’s not unhealthy enough, I have a special recipe for chocolate pancakes (which are fully and appropraitely topped, to include peanut butter) that gets me the royal treatment for the entire day from the family.

5. Susan May 5, 2009 / 3:32 pm

Hey…take away those snarky quotation marks!! πŸ™‚

6. Eileen May 5, 2009 / 3:33 pm

Another good use, disgusting as it may sound, is to throw a huge spoonful on top of cottage cheese. Mom used to do that when we were kids and I have tried it lately. Makes the cottage cheese much more edible! BTW, why does one eat cottage cheese?

7. common loon May 5, 2009 / 3:50 pm

Low in fat & carbs, high in protein, good source of calcium & vitamin D, may help with stomach disorders…but the best reason of all is b/c that’s how my Mom taught me how to make a good lasagna!!!

8. Mom May 5, 2009 / 3:50 pm

Mmmmmmmmm. Chocolate Pancakes — please share that recipe.

And, BTW, our little “G” man LOVES cottage cheese too (plain/no jelly) — something in common with his Grammy πŸ™‚ And, I think it is healthier than say homefries w/cheese!!

9. Mom May 5, 2009 / 3:52 pm

We’ll have to work on your lasagna recipe, CL. Ricotta Cheese — NOT cottage cheese!! Italians will be flipping!

10. Susan May 5, 2009 / 3:57 pm

Sorry Mom…I’m with CL. Our Mom taught cottage cheese only…’cuz it’s so much cheaper. It’s the only way we make it πŸ™‚

11. Eileen May 5, 2009 / 11:22 pm

Ok people – it is NOT lasagna if it is made with cottage cheese. That is blasphemy. I love my Aunt Anne but seriously? If you need the extra $5 bucks I’ll send it to you – do not corrupt another generation this way – p l e a s e! I’m begging.

Love you πŸ™‚

12. Susan May 6, 2009 / 7:27 am

Send the $5 and we’ll talk πŸ™‚

13. Joanne May 6, 2009 / 7:35 am

Cottage cheese has nutritional value? I had no idea.

14. Mom May 6, 2009 / 7:47 am

Thanks Eileen!! I was about to offer up the bucks too — in my Italian world there just is no substitute as far as the cheeses are concerned! And, besides, lasagna is SO MUCH WORK that one should only use the best to get the best! I propose a lasagna bake-off the next time we are all in the same area code! The gauntlet is down πŸ™‚

15. common loon May 6, 2009 / 9:01 am

I accept that challenge!!! Now, I also make white lasagnas in addition to red lasagnas. Is that blasphemy too?

16. common loon May 6, 2009 / 9:13 am

I do not argue that lasagnas CAN be a lot of work, but there are SO MANY shortcuts out there (for example, the “no boil” noodles), that it is possible to throw one together pdq – the hardest part is putting it in the oven the hour prior to planned dining time. I guess I’ve dug a deep enough hole by now…

17. Sionna May 6, 2009 / 10:10 am

Can I judge the lasagna bake-off?

18. Sarah May 6, 2009 / 11:27 am

Total # of words in the original post: 116
    Total # of words in the un-related lasagna comments: 340

I love how random conversations just happen online. πŸ™‚

And… I’ll join Sionna on the judges panel, please.

19. Mom May 6, 2009 / 12:13 pm

White lasagna, seafood lasagna, veggie lasagna — all DIFFERENT dishes entirely. Not to be “confused” with the REAL Italian red sauce one — is there such a thing as “real” anyway??? As for noodles, yes I too have used the no-bake store variety and I also make my own pasta and don’t pre-boil it either because I use it while it is fresh & supple. This should be fun and yes — Sweetpea — I think this started out with strawberry jelly on cottage cheese!!!! How did we get here???? That’s enuf from me — good day all!

20. Susan May 6, 2009 / 4:59 pm

@Sarah…did you really count the words??? Or is there soem nifty shortcut way to do it that I don’t know about?

21. Sarah May 6, 2009 / 5:07 pm

@Susan – There is a word/character count function in MS Word, so I just pasted the post and comments and then used that. I am so tired today I can hardly see straight — never mind manually count hundreds of words.