116-122/365: Home & Away

NOTE: Per sprite’s comment, the link in the paragraph below should go to a web page, not a PDF. If a PDF comes up, hit cancel. It could be something nefarious.

Well, so much for trying to get more writing up here this week. Things were crazy, crazy at work (maybe you saw us on the evening news on Tuesday?), and then I headed off to spend a long weekend at my mom’s with Jen and the nephews. In addition to all of the grandma-and-auntie doting, we also helped Mom pick out a new computer and digital camera, and talked her into very first wireless router. Jen and I tag-teamed the setup, and by the time we left, we had (I think) gotten Mom pretty comfortable with her new toys.

I need a weekend to recover from my weekend, but given my schedule for the week — which starts off with a hockey game tomorrow night and a trip to Charlottesville for a Springsteen concert on Tuesday — I’m just going to have to power through. I have a feeling it might be a little quiet around here, though.

May 26, part 1: Jen & I had 6th-row seats to the Orioles-Texas game at Camden Yards.
April 26, part 1: Jen & I had 6th-row seats to the Orioles-Texas game at Camden Yards.
May 26, part 2: If I recall correctly, this swing resulted in a home run.
April 26, part 2: If I recall correctly, this swing resulted in a home run.
May 27: On my way back from lunch, I saw this woman painting.
April 27: On my way back from lunch, I saw this woman painting.

April 28: Yeah, I shared this one already.
April 28: Yeah, I shared this one already, but the Caps winning the first round of the playoffs is still making me happy.

Oops. No Wednesday picture, probably because I spent about a million hours in the office.

April 30: On the ride up to my mom's, my older nephew revealed that he's into photography, too.
May 1: We passed a rainy day at Binghamton's Discovery Center children's museum. My younger nephew wanted to make sure I saw the fish he caught.
May 2: Tubby time!
May 2: Tubby time!

9 thoughts on “116-122/365: Home & Away

1. sprite May 4, 2009 / 12:50 am

Hey, just so you know, opening your PN link tried to give me a PDF to download. Don’t know if it’s evil, but you might want to look into it (unless, of course, you already knew it was there). Rudi says it’s originating in China and could be tied to the ads on your site. Freaked the hell out of me, though, since I knew I hadn’t tried to download anything.

2. Mom May 4, 2009 / 7:41 am

This is my first “reply” from my new computer. Breakfast with my laptop instead of Harry Smith & crew. Alas, Sweetpea, I am at the computer bar as I could not manage the laptop, an omlet, coffee and the dog and type at the same time 🙂 (I was thrilled actually that my lap is not THAT big after all!)

We are so lucky to have talented tech support in this family such as Sarah and Jen. THANKS AGAIN LADIES! 🙂

3. Eileen May 4, 2009 / 10:17 am

Can I pinch those cheeks?

4. Sarah May 4, 2009 / 10:28 am

@ sprite – Thanks for the heads-up. I can’t seem to replicate the problem, so maybe it was a brief issue overnight. (Fingers crossed.)

NOTE TO ALL: The link I posted is to a web page, not a PDF. If a PDF comes up, hit cancel straightaway.

@ Mom – You don’t actually have to hold the computer on your lap, you know. You can set it on the side table or the coffee table. 😉

@ Eileen – Not if you want him to stay all cheery like that.

5. Sionna May 4, 2009 / 2:00 pm

You’re hired! I’m in the market for a new laptop and I sure could use some advice.

Perhaps I could talk you and Jen into a fact-finding/shopping mission next month? 😉

And I love tubby pictures. What a cutie-pie!

6. Mom May 4, 2009 / 2:05 pm

@ Sionna. WARNING!!! Computer shopping trip caused my credit card to melt!! We went whole hog — wireless router & new digital camera. FUN – FUN – FUN !! Don’t tell hubby; he might make you stay home 🙂

7. common loon May 4, 2009 / 4:38 pm

Congrats on the NBC piece!!! I had no problems when I clicked on the link in your post.

Your ball game seats seemed fabulous (quite in contrast to the O’s stats).

Sounds like you ladies had a fabulous time. Wish I could have been there! Considering that every 2-3 days in April I felt compelled to get in the car and drive for hours, it’s good I did not know as I might have actually crashed your party.

btw…Springsteen here in a week, supposedly tickets are still available.

8. Susan May 4, 2009 / 5:36 pm

Guess what? I actually SAW the clip. We never (really…NEVER!) watch the evening news. But that we did…and I was so embarassingly excited that I called the girls in to watch. They were thrilled. Ok…it was just me. But I explained that it’s what you do…that kept in the room for a few more minutes 🙂

9. Mom May 4, 2009 / 6:27 pm

Cool video; I just checked it out too! There are a lot of neat places in this country that should never be destroyed — one came to mind on a recent visit to Casa Grande, AZ. The old cotton gin had gone the way of a shopping mall. I’m so glad I saw it a few years ago surrounded by a field of cotton and bales lined up for processing, and I have pictures. It was truly a neat piece of our history. There is a lot in your hometown that also is in danger; seems not too many have the $$$$ it takes for restoration and then finding an alternative use.

Glad you brought the girls in Susan. I worry that this next generation is going to lose even more touch with the values of our past….. Sweetpea IS making a difference. YEAH….