Jordan, Part One of ?

I have to say, dealing with jet lag and allergy season at the same time is just not pretty. Individually, they make me ready to drop off to sleep at a moment’s notice, together, I am barely functional. Despite this, I have been trying to get my photos organized and posted,  since that seems to be a little easier for me right now than writing — I feel so fuzzy-headed that I am not entirely convinced that I am coherent.

I am happy overall with the way the pictures came out, but at the same time, they really don’t do the trip justice. It’s easy to see the beauty of the sites and scenery, but more difficult to capture how well we were treated, how welcome we were made, and how much warmth and laughter filled every day. I went to Jordan with absolutely no expectations, and ended up having quite possibly the best trip of my life, which is hard to describe in pixels  — of either the word or picture variety.

I’ll start trying with the photos, though. The slideshow below is from the first two-ish days of the trip, when we were based in Amman and doing day-trips to nearby sites. I should have at least two, and possibly three more batches of photos over the next few days.

Vodpod videos no longer available.

6 thoughts on “Jordan, Part One of ?

1. Rudi April 2, 2009 / 1:07 pm

Nice pix! It seems that the Canon did a good job capturing things. And it’s easy to tell that you had a great time!

2. common loon April 2, 2009 / 1:16 pm

THANK YOU!!!

Looks amazing. The pictures seem really great, so it’s a little mind-blowing to think how much better it was in person (and I’m not on meds).

3. Mom April 2, 2009 / 3:26 pm

Thanks so much Sweetpea! BEAUTIFUL pictures — and the narrative about the atmosphere, the people, the laughter — mostly all we hear are the war-torn sad tales out of the Middle Eastern world. This is GOOD!!

4. wendalicious April 2, 2009 / 3:30 pm

I love the pictures…absolutely stunning!

I have to admit, though, I was a little disappointed that “Bear with a Guitar” was a wall painting and not a real bear. When you sent the tweet about it, I was picturing Smokey the Bear with a ukelele and laughing my head off.

5. susan April 2, 2009 / 7:43 pm

Love the pictures…sometimes in the midst of the daily grind I forget how BIG the world is! LOVE seeing how different and gorgeous it is!

And I feel your allergy pain 😦

6. Sarah April 3, 2009 / 12:46 pm

@ all – Thanks for the compliments on the pictures!

@ Mom – It really was a very different Middle East than we see on the news. The contrast may get its own post one of these days.

@ Wendalicious – “Bear with a guitar” is a wall painting and so much more. This is the original, though, and it cracked us up because the tiny old man who was showing us the paintings was pointing them out thusly: “there’s a camel… and a rabbit… and a bear with a guitar…” He was so totally deadpan and didn’t seem to notice that camel=normal, rabbit=normal, bear with a guitar=wtf?