Planning an Adventure

A couple of weeks back, on one of January’s particularly cold days, I found myself wishing I had a vacation planned — something fun and warm to pull me out of the winter doldrums. Being as I am a woman of action, I decided to email a couple of my work friends who are big travelers to see if either (or both) of them might be up for trying to plan something. Farin responded almost immediately that she had been thinking about a trip to Jordan — and what did we think of that? Alison responded immediately that she was in.

I have to admit that Jordan was a destination that was not really on my radar, but I’m game to go pretty much anywhere, so I jumped in, too. After a few lunchtime planning meetings we’re pretty much set. Farin travels a lot, both for work and for fun, so she put her trip research skills to the test and found us a great, inexpensive, private tour, and Alison found a not-great-but-not-horrible airfare, so we just booked our flights.

We’re flying in and out of Amman, and will be visiting Petra, Wadi Rum, and the Dead Sea, among other places. We’re also going to be spending one night in a Bedouin encampment in the desert. I’m so excited — I think it’s going to be really fun. And the best part is, since prices go up in April, we’re going at the end of March, in just under six weeks. Woo hoo!

Now, of course, I am going on the pre-vacation money saving fun-diet, cutting way, way back on dinners out, happy hours, and all non-essential shopping. I also need to do my taxes ASAP, so I’ll have my refund to bring for spending money. I’ll be using the spare time I get from not going out anymore to figure out the best way to keep everyone updated while we’re away. I’m considering Twitter, but am open to suggestions.

11 thoughts on “Planning an Adventure

1. common loon February 11, 2009 / 1:15 pm

YIPPEE!!!
    The Bedouin encampment might not live up to your expectations…so keep the expectations low on that one and then it will be a hoot. The rest sounds really really great. Kind of puts our “big trip” south in perspective. I’m sure that shopping for landmark birthday gifts will be fun. I’m sad to hear that you will no longer be stimulating our economy, though.

2. sionna February 11, 2009 / 2:09 pm

The Dead Sea. I’d be all over that. Fascinating.

3. Susan February 11, 2009 / 4:01 pm

I spent a night in a Bedouin encampment…which is not something I thought we’d have in common. 🙂
    It was WAY COOL! I love the whole cross cultural thing. Helps remind me it’s not all about ME!

How long is the trip???

4. Eileen February 11, 2009 / 5:20 pm

Why am I just hearing about this now? I’m so jealous. Hello…your sister loves this sort of adventure stuff…sniff, sniff.

Have fun!

5. Mom February 11, 2009 / 8:35 pm

I’m with Eileen; first I’ve heard of it too!!! WOOO! Not sure it would have been my first choice of venues either, but, hey, go for it!!! It has much more “adventure” attached to it than my Phoenix destination 🙂 Do share about the Bedouin encampment on the desert — fear I am too old to go there [probably sleeping on mats on the sand — bones too aged for that one]. Someday you girls will all have to settle (probably/maybe/maybe not ??) for the more predictable — but for now, the world is yours. Keep us all posted on your plans/itin. Hugs, Mom

6. Auntie Fran February 12, 2009 / 9:43 am

Phoenix … boring 🙂

Awesome, Sarah. You do “adventure” well 🙂 If you can ride an elephant, you can do anything. How long is your trip?

7. Mom February 12, 2009 / 2:05 pm

We’ll need a picture of you astride a camel to put up next to the one of you riding the elephant 🙂

8. common loon February 12, 2009 / 2:28 pm

Remember…camels spit and pee (a lot). Stay upwind!!!

Oh, did I mention thank you, er – I mean, have fun shopping for landmark birthday gifts?!

9. Mom February 13, 2009 / 11:35 am

Oh Loon, er, ah, you’ve mentioned “landmark” gift TWICE. Errr, ahhh, what should we all be suggesting/requesting???

10. common loon February 13, 2009 / 1:50 pm

@ Mom: Knowing the family, there may be a few cards or emails in April directed at the two “kiddos” who are about to embark on “the back nine.” Should such cards move one to tears (more in the direction of sorrow vice laughter), then perhaps it would be appropriate to send along a token gift to soften the blow. 🙂

Knowing Sarah, thus the encouragement to shop for a landmark gift.