40/365: Into the Hole

My daily trip down Dupont Circle escalator. The slight blurriness of the photo captures pretty well the touch of vertigo the long Metro escalators give me.
February 9: My daily trip into the Dupont Circle station. The slight blurriness of the photo captures surprisingly well the touch of vertigo the long Metro escalators give me.

This is today’s picture for my photo-a-day project.

8 thoughts on “40/365: Into the Hole

1. sionna February 10, 2009 / 10:09 am

Now I wish we had taken more pictures of the escalators in the London Underground as well. Those were steep, steep steps as well.

Yikes…my head spins just looking at your picture.

2. common loon February 10, 2009 / 10:28 am

If you are moving and you tilt your head (or was it just the camera), that causes a disruption in your ear that only contributes negatively to your vertigo. Closing an eye to snap the picture, plus the lens distortion – hope you didn’t yak. I like the picture, though.

3. Mom February 10, 2009 / 11:02 am

I agree with Loon. I can feel my stomach flipping! I would have to work on myself to ride that every day 😦

4. Eileen February 10, 2009 / 2:37 pm

If you keep moving (left side of the stairs, only) and you look at your feet, its all good (and helps keep you in shape).

5. Susan February 10, 2009 / 5:26 pm

@ Eileen
    The next time I’m there, I’m taking a picture of me standing on the wrong side…
    Having rules even where you’re allowed to stand…city folk! 🙂

6. Sarah February 10, 2009 / 6:27 pm

@ Sionna, CL, Mom, & Eileen – It’s funny, the vertigo comes and goes. I’ve been up and down that escalator twice a day, five days a week for nearly ten years and sometimes I trot right down like it’s nothing, and other days I get halfway down and literally forget how to place my feet. It’s baffling, and slightly scary.

@Susan — It’s not so much a rule as a courtesy, really. (Though, I will admit, I’ve seen more than a few of my fellow Washingtonians approach a stander with anything but courtesy. Sigh.) It’s essentially the mass-transit equivalent of not going below the speed limit in the passing lane. Some people have somewhere to get to, others don’t, and stand right/walk left keeps everyone happy. I was teaching D about it this weekend on his train trips. I’ll make city folk out of him yet! 🙂

7. Susan February 10, 2009 / 8:04 pm

Oh. Courtesy. I guess I could do it the right way then…

8. Hillary February 11, 2009 / 11:57 am