Weird?

So I was running errands at lunch and when walking out to the car I noticed something stuck behind the front license plate. It turned out to be a neatly folded napkin with a phone number on it.

When I got back to the office, I did a reverse look-up. Its a (local) cell phone number but that’s all it says.

I refuse to call from my phone (don’t want my number showing up and don’t know how to block it) but I am curious. Is this some new parking lot demon to be wary of, a weird prank, or some new method of hitting on someone? I’m confused.

7 thoughts on “Weird?

1. sprite January 27, 2009 / 3:45 pm

Maybe someone hit your car and wanted to leave a way for you to contact them?

2. Mom January 27, 2009 / 4:35 pm

Never heard of it but will ask around. Could you try a public phone booth?

3. Mom January 27, 2009 / 4:43 pm

This is wierd — keeping in ming this person already has your license number, make, and model of car, so you are so right to be wary of it getting your phone number too. Keep us posted……

4. Eileen January 27, 2009 / 5:36 pm

@ Mom – seriously, a phone booth? What century do you live in?

@ Sprite – the collision thing occured to me, but (a) it doesn’t look damaged and (b) in my (limited) experience, people who hit your car and bother to leave a note are geenrally a but more explicit. But since the note wasn’t it does make one wonder…and how would I know?

5. common loon January 27, 2009 / 5:41 pm

I’m with Sionna on this…I think someone bumped your bumper. Inspect for scratches, etc. (is that possible when it’s warm enough for you to have bug debris?), then head to a library, school, doctor’s office, or police station (a place where a phone is available for public use) and call in the next day from that phone. Hopefully it was the rare person with a conscience that did not have the time to do a hit & run & wait, so they just left you their contact. By not calling the police, they may be trying to avoid a hit on their insurance. And if they did ding your car such that you wish to make a repair, you will have a tough time as the person fled the scene and you did not file a “timely” report yourself (call the cops from your parking spot). No report on file will likely lead to no insurance money (from them to you), and I would be HIGHLY SUSPECT if they wanted to give you cash, etc. for a repair (involves meeting, or taking it to “their” fix-it guy, etc.).

6. Mom January 27, 2009 / 5:54 pm

Thanks Loon! You made me feel better. There are such things a public phones — maybe not “booths” per se, but they are in “carrols” or 3 sided enclosures of some ilk. I’ve seen them; they are out there. But, Loon’s idea is good, the library, a hospital lobby, a bar…… some “public” number other that yours.