New, Friends, and Order

I’m not gonna lie — it is hard as hell to think about beautiful things on the first Monday after two weeks out of the office, especially since I hurt my back exercising this morning and just got an email telling me my morning meeting has been moved to an earlier time I may not make.* Sigh.

But, I will try.

1. I transitioned from 2008 to 2009 with many of my favorite people in DC. My fun-filled New Year’s Eve was followed up with a great New Year’s Day brunch at Julia & Michael’s, where I loaded up on both good conversation and the traditional Southern lucky foods (ham, greens, black-eyed peas). I finished out the day with dinner and a hockey game with my old roommate Joanne. (Honorable mention: after the game, I got to try DC’s newest cupcake joint — Red Velvet, which gets a big thumbs up.)

2. On Saturday, entirely out of the blue, MsP emailed to see if I was around, since she and the family were making a rare trek over to the Hill. I see her all too rarely, so I jumped at the chance to meet up for lunch. (Bonus beauty: the burger I ordered was ridiculously delicious.)

3. I finally put shelves into the tops of my closets. This may seem fairly mundane, but given that I’ve spent more than two years with stuff piled up like Jenga tiles, ready to crash at any given moment, it is beautiful, indeed.

***

* I made the meeting, but clearly did not have time to finish this post until now. Sorry.

6 thoughts on “New, Friends, and Order

1. susan January 5, 2009 / 7:46 pm

I actually had “I have a beautiful thing to share” moment today…after completely dreading the return of “normal”, I went to work and realized I really DO love my job. It was actually kinda fun to go back. I missed all the squirreliness of the kids, their chatter, and the absolutely hysterical things they say and do without meaning to. My beautiful thing was that I liked going back to work. Huh.

2. Joanne January 5, 2009 / 8:13 pm

my three beautiful things from just today:

1. my unexpected raise!! woo-hoo!

2. the awesome pic of DS that his teachers took and posted over his crib.

3. the soothing power of the pacifier.

3. MsP January 5, 2009 / 8:29 pm

It’s good that we’re all so tied to our freakin’ email – like I said, I have no idea how I lost your cell phone number. Which reminds me, I never did get it again from you.

Don and I were so salty we didn’t get the burgers. I clearly wanted one. My steak sandwich was just okay.

But whatever. I was so glad to see you! We’ll come over more often now that I realize it’s only one bus.

4. sionna January 5, 2009 / 11:15 pm

My beautiful thing was the unexpected opportunity to sleep in this morning since there was a two-hour delay. Normally I’m grumpy about it but I certainly embraced it this morning

5. common loon January 6, 2009 / 9:31 am

One clear beautiful thing: middle child read his first words, then got tired and cuddled under the blanket – passing out. Also, I graduated from my regular PT to a “next step” class, which started Monday night. Although that’s beautiful, my kids are closer in age to the rest of my class than I am, and one of the gym instructors thought I was supposed to be in the “get-fit-boot-camp” class, not trying to keep up with a bunch of varsity high schoolers. Ouch – my pride! The kids kicked my butt running and jumping, but I finally beat them on something: strength tests. They will be crushing my in every way soon enough.

6. Sarah January 10, 2009 / 2:07 pm

@ Susan – That’s a great beautiful thing moment! I think finding a job you enjoy is the goal, right? When it comes to work, anyway…

@ Joanne – A raise? Did your agency get part of the stimulus pkg?

@ Common Loon – Just let the whippersnappers know your previous career and the fact that you could crush them if you chose — you’re just opting not to. For now.