Ugh!

You know how when you’ve done  something so many times you can do it on autopilot? That’s kind of how I am with making my Aunt Anne’s chocolate crinkles — I make them every year, and each time they get better tasting and easier to make.

Until now.

I have produced a batch of nasty, awful, greasy, entirely inedible cookies. All I can figure is, that when I was throwing the recipe together at 11:00 last night (it has to chill overnight before baking) I accidentally put in a full cup of oil, instead of a half. I have a vague recollection of thinking the batter looked a little different than usual, but persevered, nevertheless. Note to self: when something you have done many, many times suddenly seems  different, this is because it is.

And this is not the only cookie problem I have had today. I have a recipe for spritz cookies that I just love, but it’s a bit of a headache. (These would be the cookies that led to a notable incident of kitchen rage last fall.) This time,  they’re slightly under-mixed — my hand beater chose to die mid-prep — and a little undercooked, something for which I have only myself to blame. I don’t like hard cookies, and as a consequence, have an almost pathological fear of over-baking.

I may have to serve them anyway, though. I am having a few friends over to watch kiddie Christmas cartoons this afternoon, and without the vaguely doughy spritz cookies, I would have only two kinds of cookies to serve rather than the four I had planned — and two just doesn’t seem like enough variety.

I kind of want to run down to Hill’s Kitchen and buy a replacement mixer so I can re-make them… But maybe I should just ask Santa for a new, non-whack hand mixer?

Hmm.

14 thoughts on “Ugh!

1. sprite December 14, 2008 / 11:51 am

I’ll bring some cookies to share. No worries!

2. Mom December 14, 2008 / 12:27 pm

Oh, poor you and Susan too — two crinkle disasters in one season. Maybe mixing at 11:00 at night is not such a good idea. I know it wouldn’t be for me 😦 Bless Sprite! Enjoy your evening anyway!

3. Susan December 14, 2008 / 1:21 pm

I COMPLETELY share your crinkle pain. The good news for you is your friends come to see you, not just eat your food 🙂 Bad news…once you have crinkles on the brain, no other cookie will do. Mixing mine AGAIN today…hopefully with better results. I was a little embarassed to see the use by on the new baking powder that I got is 1/11…which means I had my old stuff for QUITE some time!!!!!

4. common loon December 14, 2008 / 9:19 pm

Sadly, you will have to remake those crinkles at some point, or something awful will happen: you will eat any and every remotely chocolate thing that comes within 100 yards of your mouth, hoping to satisfy that crinkle craving, to no avail. So prrior to FINALLY getting your crinkle fix, you will gain 10 pounds pre-crinkle, never-mind the post-crinkle spike. Oh dear, am I projecting my issues here, too much self-revelation?????

@ Susan: Silver lining (maybe?)…Isn’t your husband the one that makes the homemade pancakes on the weekends? So couldn’t he share some of the blame? And if he hasn’t made them in forever, then he DEFINITELY should get some grief!

5. Joanne December 14, 2008 / 9:22 pm

I’m thinking I need this crinkle recipe…

6. Susan December 14, 2008 / 10:30 pm

@ CL…so cute that you think he makes them from scratch…we use Bisquick 🙂

@Joanne…you SO need this recipe!!!!!! Everyone I’ve ever shared them with has wanted the recipe. So GOOD! Of course, I lost mine and Eileen had to save me 🙂

7. Sarah December 14, 2008 / 10:53 pm

@ all – I am hoping Eileen will have some crinkles for me when I get to Houston. I can’t re-make them now because of the dead hand-mixer situation. Sigh.

@ Joanne – Click on the link in the first paragraph and voila! You will find the recipe.

8. Rudi December 14, 2008 / 11:08 pm

Party was most lovely! The two cookies that did makes it were most excellent – kudos to the chef! 🙂

9. Sionna December 15, 2008 / 10:10 am

I am going to bake these cookies this week. I’ll let you know how that goes.

10. Eileen December 17, 2008 / 12:06 am

The 2008 Crinkle Curse is broken…I made a double batch of batter (only baked about 40 cookies so far) but they were perfect! Sis, they are waiting for you so hurry up 🙂

11. Joanne December 17, 2008 / 10:11 pm

Chocolate crinkles were on NPR today–yet another sign from the universe that I need to try this recipe…

12. Auntie Fran December 19, 2008 / 8:15 am

Sarah and Susan … I am making crinkles, too…right after a trip to Target for a new mixer AND fresh baking powder! Hugs to all those calories 🙂

13. sionna December 21, 2008 / 5:34 pm

Success!!

Full batch of chocolate crinkles were produced today. Wow, that is a sticky, messy process but oh so worth it.

Along with those, I made my mom’s ginger snaps and my annual fave, Peanut Butter Blossoms. Mmmm good.