Laughter, Memories, Traditions

It’s Monday again and, as I ride to work in a slightly belated and severely under-caffeinated state, it’s time to look back on three beautiful things from the past week:

1. On Friday, I spent more time laughing than any time in recent memory, both at work and at a housewarming in the evening. And not in a lame “haha, that’s funny” way, but actual side-splitting, laugh-’til-you-cry laughter. I want more days like that.

2. I bought and decorated my Christmas tree this weekend. The majority of my ornaments are from my childhood, and each comes with a memory of when I made it of the person who gave it to me. I love taking a moment to think about holidays past in the midst of the here-and-now rush.

3. Last night, I attended, for the third or fourth year in a row, sprite & Rudi’s tree trimming party. It’s always a fun evening, and it makes me very happy to be part of my friends’ holiday traditions.

9 thoughts on “Laughter, Memories, Traditions

1. common loon December 8, 2008 / 1:02 pm

I love hanging the ornaments on our tree for the VERY SAME REASON!!! This year, however, was my rude awakening. Planning a fsmily moment, trimming the treeand telling the stories that accompany each and every ornament…except that the kids wanted to help. I thought, “Great! This year maybe they’ll remember those stories and now family lore can be passed down.” Yeah, right. The kids tore through the ornamnet boxes until they found “their” stuff, threw it all up on the branches they could reach (note: your oldest nephew climbed the hearth and could reach the top of the tree, so not everything was clustered at the bottom), and since it took me such a “long time” to dig the ornaments out of the box – especially those fragile ones – the whole process took 5, maybe 10 minutes tops. So I guess those stories will have to come out when we are “peacefully” gathered about the Christmas tree (what’s that, in about 17 years?).

2. Mom December 8, 2008 / 4:42 pm

I am suffering a case of side-splitting, tears rolling down my cheeks laughter reading Loon’s entry. Talk about memories of Christmases past!!!!!!!! I don’t think it will take 17 years, honey, but maybe a while and you may have to borrow your nieces or your female cousins for the nostalgia part — boys, eeeehhhh! Your only male cousin up until very recent years was happy as a clam to decorate with beer bottle pop tops, sports memorabilia, and such other guy shit! Only having a wife brought him around to decorating with the old family ornaments. So, if you want a sentimental moment, put them all to bed, pour yourself a nice glass of wine, and stand back and admire YOUR favorite ornaments and make sure they are out of “harms” way. Sweetpea & Loon: you made my day. Thanks for the Hug!

3. susan December 8, 2008 / 6:36 pm

The girls are getting there. Though we still had one of those “AARGHHH” moments. They were all excited about doing our advent book (open 1 flap on the page a day, read a little of Jesus’ story)…when they start FIGHTING over who gets to start. Not the Hallmark moment I pictured…but apparently everyone wants to be the odd days cuz then you get to open Christmas. Not quite as mature as I hoped…

On the TBT…how ’bout one? I’m making Mom’s chocolate crinkles 🙂 See how positive I’m becoming? OBT…it’s a start…

4. susan December 8, 2008 / 7:00 pm

Bah! Humbug! Back to No Beautiful Things.
    Note to self…expired baking powder makes bad crinkles 😦

5. Mom December 8, 2008 / 8:13 pm

@ Susan — oh persevere! Make another batch; they are so worth it!! There is not a better recipe that your Mom shared 🙂 🙂

6. Joanne December 8, 2008 / 9:28 pm

Sophia almost knocked over our tree trying to reposition one of her ornaments today. Fabulous.

7. common loon December 9, 2008 / 12:23 pm

A friend told me that she uses picture wire to secure her tree to the wall with picture hooks. Then if her kids climb the tree, etc. it won’t fall on top of them. Our tree is protected on 2 and 1/2 sides, otherwise, this was to be the year we tied our tree to the wall.

8. Mom December 9, 2008 / 12:36 pm

We used to run clear heavy-duty deep-sea fishing line around the stem of the tree & anchor that to the drapery rod fittings that were drilled into the wall on two windows on either side of the tree. It worked for kids and the cat! See, ladies, nothing has changed for generations 🙂

Oh, the snow flakes are accumulating at the bottom of my reply. Is there a “message” there ??

9. sprite December 9, 2008 / 2:34 pm

We were glad you could come. It wouldn’t be the holidays if we didn’t gather together…