Since You Asked…

In the comments from the last two days of Halloween posts, a couple of questions seem to have arisen: what did I decide on for a costume, and what does the spider house look like at night? Because I aim to please, I am here with answers — and pictures.

I stopped to take a few photos of my neighbor’s house last night at peak trick-or-treating time, and the joint was jumping. Turns out they up the game even further with spooky sound effects and a smoke machine, and kids were standing on the doorstep being very vocally “scared.” (“You ring the bell.” No, you do it.”) Everyone was clearly having a ball. I shot the photo under a streetlamp, so as to have enough light for it to come out, but I do think it makes it hard to see the smoke. (It’s coming up through the bushes on the right.)

The spider house on Halloween night.
The spider house on Halloween night.

Mom’s “going green” was the winning costume idea for Megan’s Halloween party — with an assist from Bossman. I was telling him about my outfit, and lamenting that I didn’t have a button or something to make the concept clear. (I was thinking “ask me about my carbon footprint” or something along those lines.) He suggested that I wear black shoes and tape CO2 on them to actually be my carbon footprint. Brilliant! So that is what I did.

Green for Halloween!
Green for Halloween!

My hair, by the way? Still green.

6 thoughts on “Since You Asked…

1. Mom November 1, 2008 / 11:18 am

C O O L! Ms. Green!! And you didn’t even have to spring for the green cords from ATL! It was too warm a night for cords anyway, even in Bing! You look sexy and great (sorry, nothing sexy about cords)! Hope you had a good time! It was a fantastic Halloween here — nice & warm, parents & grands & kids did not rush, just lingered & chatted. It took 2 1/2 hours to go through 120 juice boxes — an especially welcome treat as the kids were thirsty from the heat & ramming from house to house!!

2. Heidi November 1, 2008 / 11:35 am

Now THAT’S celebrating Halloween… no one in Cincinnati seems to consider it an adult holiday, I got a lot of weird looks when I told people I couldn’t believe I wasn’t invited to any costume parties this year… sigh… At least we had several trick-or-treaters… a lion, Clifford the Little Red Dog, the Queen of Egypt, 3 princesses, a skeleton, and a cowgirl. Pretty good showing, considering last year we only had one group and we had to wave them over to our porch.

3. sionna November 1, 2008 / 3:15 pm

Awesome!!! YOu looked great!!! I love the carbon footprint idea. Very, very clever.

Something that I wish I had thought of earlier….Wanda Sykes was on Ellen on Friday. She was dressed up as a Wall Street exec complete with golden parachute, a bucket for the bailout and money stuffed into every crevice of the suit. She even had on a cheap toupee. It was hilarious looking.

Green hair still? Snicker.

4. common loon November 2, 2008 / 3:27 pm

You look (ed) great! Very well done. I should warn you about the hair thing…granted your oldest nephew has lighter colored hair – it is equally as thick I think, but his accidental purple took 2 weeks and a haircut to go away (he made a visor at a summer birthday party, then his sweat made the purple bleed into his hair). Fortunately, green is a good color on you, and anyone who gives you a second look is merely jealous b/c your hair obviously was grren for an event…meaning that you have a (fun & exciting) life!

5. Susan November 2, 2008 / 7:27 pm

Now I want an update on the hair 🙂

6. Sarah November 3, 2008 / 11:52 am

@ Mom – Actually, the skirt is new, too — and also from ATL. It just happened that they didn’t have the pants in my size, and the skirt (and top, for that matter) were on sale. Got them both for $25!

@ Sionna & Susan – The hair was still green on Saturday only because I decided not to wash it out right away. Strangely enough, I kinda liked it, but after spending an entire day with it coming off on my hands every time I touched my hair (which, it turns out, I do a lot) I washed it out Sunday morning. I am all back to normal now.