Halloween Help Needed

I am, overall, not a huge fan of costumes. I blame my parents and countless 80s afterschool specials for indoctrinating me too thoroughly with the “be yourself” message. And, under normal circumstances, my antipathy towards playing grown-up dress-up isn’t a problem; it’s not as if there’s a huge call for costumes in the workplace. (Though I did used to have a boss, who would often suggest wacky/themed outfits for big presentations. My colleagues and I pretty much always shot him down.)

This week, however, is Halloween — the only time of year when my dislike of costumes is considered not only weird, but practically un-American. (There’s a topic for another post…) I usually just  hide in my apartment in my regular clothes, but this year I can’t, because a really good friend is having a Halloween party.

So, I need help figuring out a costume, though it has to meet certain criteria. It needs to be both quick and easy to pull together. I want to be able to make it out of things I already own. If I need supplies, I don’t want to have to go any further than CVS. The name can’t involve the word “sexy” (e.g. “sexy nurse” or “sexy witch”) but if I look hot while wearing it, that’s OK. And I don’t want to go as Sarah Palin.

Any ideas?

14 thoughts on “Halloween Help Needed

1. Joanne October 30, 2008 / 2:15 pm

Wow, procrastinate much?

2. common loon October 30, 2008 / 2:58 pm

I have had older kids come to my door dressed in PJ’s w/ pacifiers (if your PJ’s are footed, then you could be a “hot babe”). A guy around here wore a leisure suit and dressed as “creepy leisure suit guy.” If you have any brown fabric, you could be a jedi or a monk. The kids fall-back plan has always been a construction worker (flannel shirt, reflective vest, hard hat, could throw in a tool belt, etc.). You could dress as that wierd lady on the insurance commercials. Freak EVERYONE out and borrow some maternity clothes and be pregnant. Or go the opposite end – put baby powder in your hair, grab your knitting stuff and be a granny. You could be a bartender, and Irish lass…..so many ideas and I am likely misguided and not getting even close to what you’re looking for. So give me a little more direction and I’ll ponder it (oh, did I mention I’m all about cheap?).

3. Roon October 30, 2008 / 3:32 pm

Just carry a bottle of Schlitz and go as “a popular drinking song.”

4. sprite October 30, 2008 / 3:35 pm

I’m in the same boat…

5. Mom October 30, 2008 / 3:48 pm

Blaming your parents for this dilemma — you should be ashamed!! If you’d given me some notice I could have sent you that sleek 20s dress of Grandma Heffs that you wore once (remember that pic?) Anyway, CL is GOOD!!! You could “go green” (if you have an all green outfit), craft up some wings & a pointy little cap & be tinkerbell — does anybody remember her anymore? You could even utilize a pair of your fancy socks for Ms. T’s footies. How about a chef (surely you have an apron of some sort), a pot, spoon, etc — and if you have some ingredients in the pot, you’ll be even more welcome at the party. How about a frizzle haired scrub woman (you got a mop?) Lots ‘o possibilities I’m sure. Have a ball!

6. Joanne October 30, 2008 / 4:01 pm

Oh, Mom

“be tinkerbell — does anybody remember her anymore?”

She has a whole Disney franchise ala the Princesses–Disney Fairies. Tinkerbell is EVERYWHERE these days.

I can tell you are the grandmother to boys. 😉

7. common loon October 30, 2008 / 4:30 pm

Sorry Aunt Mary…EVEN I know about Tinkerbell!!! I do think the idea of “going green” is a neat one. Along the same lines, Ms. D.C., you could be “patriotic” and wear red, white, and blue?

Sarah, I’m not sure I’d go as a fairy, if I were you.

8. Sarah October 30, 2008 / 5:02 pm

Ooh… I might be able to work with the “green” idea — I did want those green cords from Ann Taylor Loft.

9. Mom October 30, 2008 / 5:55 pm

And I thought you were only going to go as far as CVS for supplies!!!

Sorry, Joanne & CL — I do know about the fairies, princesses, mermaids, etc. – but I truly had not heard TB’s name mentioned in a long time — I think I even have some parts of the TB costume one of the girls wore when they were real small up in my cedar chest. I’ll have to pay more attention to the Disney stuff 🙂

10. Sarah October 30, 2008 / 6:12 pm

Ma — the Ann Taylor Loft by my office is maybe a half-block farther away than the CVS, so close enough for me!

11. sionna October 30, 2008 / 8:05 pm

Go as Joanne? JUST KIDDING!

I lack some creative brain cells so I have nothing good to offer.

Actually, what is popular these days is to go as the anti-fairies, or Goth fairies.

You were all black, with a broken wand and crooked wings and look pissed off at the world. Heh.

12. sionna October 30, 2008 / 8:06 pm

Yeah, my brain is fried….that was supposed to be “wear”, not “were” all black.

It’s been a long week.

13. Joanne October 30, 2008 / 8:27 pm

well, to go as me, all she needs to beat up sweat pants, a t-shirt, and zipper hoodie, because that’s all I can manage to pull on these days.

So, there you go, Sarah, you can go as a mother to a colicky seven week old!

14. sionna October 31, 2008 / 4:15 pm

Are you going to let us know what you finally decided on?

C’mon. Share! 🙂