Happy, Fixed, and Success!

Clearly, from the preamble below, I started writing this post yesterday. I planned to finish writing it at lunch, but by then “not feeling fabulously well” was downgraded to “feeling completely like shit” and I went home from work and slept for the better part of 17 hours. It seems to have helped, and I’m now off to re-start my work week.

It’s a bright, sunny Monday here in DC, and though I’m not feeling fabulously well, I am going to take my cue from the weather and think about beauty: specifically, three beautiful things from the past week.

1. On Saturday, I was in the wedding of my friends Heidi & Jeremy. When the minister pronounced them husband and wife, Jeremy exclaimed “Woo!” with a huge grin at his bride. It was such a beautiful, spontaneous expression of joy — for me, the high point of a day filled with happiness.

2. On Friday night, a bunch of folks in the wedding headed across the river into Kentucky for beers and brats at a hofbrauhaus. After dinner, when the valet returned my rental car, the right-rear tire was flat as a pancake. In searching for a gas station to get enough air in the tire to head back to the airport to switch out the car at Alamo, we happened upon a garage that was, surprisingly enough, still open at almost 9 p.m. The mechanics agreed to put some air in for us, and in doing so, found a two-inch screw in the tread. They offered to plug it, and $10 and 10 minutes later, we were back on the road. They absolutely went above and beyond in showing kindness to strangers.

3. While I was visiting last weekend, I finally got to finish teaching Wendy to knit, a project we had started on my visit in July. She took to it as if she were born to it, and had managed several inches on her first scarf before I left. (I know, this technically exceeds the past-week time window, but I forgot to mention it last week, so it’s still fair game as far as I am concerned.)

11 thoughts on “Happy, Fixed, and Success!

1. sprite September 30, 2008 / 11:37 am

Hooray for both friends and strangers — a winning combo when away from home!

2. wendalicious September 30, 2008 / 1:52 pm

Please send my congratulations to Heidi – she was a gorgeous bride!
    And – you should see that scarf now! Last night I finished the first color, and felt-joined the variegated color, and got about 10 more rows of that done. I only tried the felted join because it involved science (heat+friction+moisture=join), and plus I thought it looked cool. I’ll post some pics tonight…I am having a great ime!

3. Mom September 30, 2008 / 2:28 pm

Glad you had a great time and horray for the good samaritans! It is nice to renew every now and then that they do still exist. And, woo hoo for Wendy — scarves today/socks tomorrow 🙂 Do you have “gorgeous bride”? Can you share one?

4. Mom September 30, 2008 / 2:28 pm

Oh and how about a pic or two of you the attendant…

5. common loon September 30, 2008 / 3:39 pm

ditto what your mom said

also…take it as easy as you can – hope you’re feeling better soon!

6. Sionna September 30, 2008 / 4:08 pm

I’m about to take the maturity quotient down here…I’m still giggling at the title of this post.

It is kind of funny in a Bevis and Butthead sort of way.

(I’ve been proof-reading all day – cut me some slack, ok?)

7. Mom September 30, 2008 / 4:27 pm

Sionna — What do you proof-read? Get your mind up Girl!!

8. Sionna October 1, 2008 / 11:06 am

It’s a State mandated report that we have to do annually and we are in the middle of producing it as we speak.

It’s a lot of copy editing but some PR document-type of proof-editing too.

My mind gets to be mush by the end of the day and I get a tad punchy. 😉

9. common loon October 1, 2008 / 5:06 pm

No post either means you’re busy, exhausted, ill or all. Thinking of you!