High Altitude Makes Me Take Even More Pictures Than I Usually Do

I have a love-hate relationship with photography. I love taking pictures, and tend to document trips fairly relentlessly, but I hate dealing with the aftermath: sorting, color-correcting, cropping, deleting, captioning — all the stuff that makes the photos actually useful as records of my travels. This is mostly due to the fact that I take a ridiculously large number of photos, having learned in my photography classes in high school that you have to shoot a lot of film to get one beautiful photograph.  The digital age has made this somewhat easier, and causes only virtual clutter, rather than shoeboxes of unlabeled pictures and negatives, but it’s still a fairly time-intensive process. As a result, my hard drive is littered with image files in various states of organization.

But in an effort to save myself from a Thailand-trip-like photography debacle (two years post-trip: only two out of three online photo albums done, and nine rolls of film waiting to be developed) I’ve decided to just put my Colorado pictures up, sans-captions and with minimal post-production work. I have tried to remove the duplicates and generally bad pictures, but you can judge for yourselves my success in that regard.

Vodpod videos no longer available.

more about “Slideshow“, posted with vodpod

7 thoughts on “High Altitude Makes Me Take Even More Pictures Than I Usually Do

1. common loon September 17, 2008 / 1:40 pm

Love the landscapes (as I don’t know most of the people)! What beauty!!! Would you consider emailing any so that I could have new desktop wallpaper? btw, I want to start a business to help people like you. We should talk…

2. Sarah September 17, 2008 / 2:00 pm

@ CL – I think all you need to do is click on the slideshow and it should take you to my Picasa page, where you can dowmload whichever ones you want. If that doesn’t work (not sure how the privacy settings work) let me know and I can send you a different link.

I’m probably beyond help, but I’d still be happy to chat about your business idea!

3. MsP September 17, 2008 / 2:30 pm

They look great. And I especially love the new header.

4. Mom September 17, 2008 / 3:01 pm

Can’t wait to go home & look at your pics! The IT Wonders here have blocked the website to keep people from “playing” instead of working. So who’s playing??

Also, before I forget, I checked out the Honour Roll of TBT bloggers — I wouldn’t worry at all about changing the name of Sweatpea’s Garden -:)

5. common loon September 17, 2008 / 3:51 pm

Thanks, Sarah! Done. I now have a wondrous view of the Rockies. Oh happy place…

6. Mom September 17, 2008 / 7:07 pm

Sarah, A W E S O M E photos! I can hardly wait to go back to CO; the views are just unbelievable every way you turn. A photog’s delight! I saved a few ’cause I have so many from my trip. Are they with your “big” camera or just our little one? Next thing I gotta learn to do is post ’em someplace so others can see them too. Help?? But not tonight. HUGS.

p.s. I am bummed for E&C; they are not even going to START to restore power to their area until 9/22 — wow, guess we’d hoped for more. But, she seems to be okay with it — a great attitude. I think she wishes more of her “fellow Texans” had the same outlook. Although, I’m not sure she’d want to be referred to as a “Texan” 🙂

7. Sionna September 18, 2008 / 9:42 am

Wow. I still can’t get over how blue that sky is. That is stunning. I love the contrast of the rocky peaks and glacial snow patches. Wow, wow and wow.

I have an open invite to visit a friend of my brother’s who lives in Denver. I may have to take her up on her invitation sooner than later.