Fresh Air, Nostalgia, and Thirds

It’s Monday, time for three beautiful things from the past week:

1. The heat and humidity were mild enough that I was able to keep the windows open for two days and two nights. Anyone who has ever lived through August in DC will understand how beautiful — and rare — that is.

2. A number of my college friends have recently joined Facebook, and there is now a group for our theatre program. People have been posting photos at an alarming rate, and I’ve really enjoyed the stroll down memory lane. (My iTunes has been on a pretty constant early ’90s rotation, too, just to add to the nostalgia.)

3. Yes, I gave it 1,700 words on Thursday, but just in case it isn’t clear: seeing Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band for the third time this year: beautiful.

6 thoughts on “Fresh Air, Nostalgia, and Thirds

1. sionna August 25, 2008 / 1:37 pm

Yes, I can appreciate that. Back in oh 1999 or so, I went down to DC with my mom’s middle school group (I was a chaperone) in May during a BRUTAL May heat wave.

It was 85 at 6:30 in the mornings and it just got hotter from there. We canceled any outdoor walking tours.

On the last day it was 110 in the shade and we got dropped off at the Air and Space museum. I had been there at least two times previously and I was not interested in staying there. I tried to walk across the Mall to another museum and I did not get far before I turned around and went back to avoid a heat stroke. Too.hot. Too.humid.

I was trapped at the Air and Space museum for three long hours. Should have been two but the bus was late because it needed freon.

Long story short, it is a beautiful thing indeed to leave your window open in DC in August. I have no idea how you District of Columbians do it!!

2. common loon August 25, 2008 / 4:25 pm

OK, Sarah, need some help: Three unrelated people have approached me (all with a 10 day window) about how I really “MUST” join Facebook. What’s the deal???

3. Joanne August 25, 2008 / 5:52 pm

My beautiful thing for the day: Baby is coming on Sept 9th! Yay for induction!

CL–stay away from Facebook. Its just silly.

4. Mom August 26, 2008 / 2:46 pm

While on the subject of fresh air — and because your blog is so well read, Sweetpea —

This message comes from a nurse practitioner/friend to all parents of teens & pre-teens — check out this article re “Dusting Abuse” — unfortunately, parents have always had to be armed with all kinds of information, and hope & pray we never need it.

See: http://www.2020parenting.com/pages/dust-off.php

5. Mom August 26, 2008 / 2:50 pm

Oh, P.S., and yeah for cooler nights, but I had to put a fleece on to walk the dog this morning. Not ready for that yet…..

@ Joanne — horray for your good news!! T-14 days and counting — end of bedrest — and sadly about T+14 days you’ll be wishing for a nap 🙂

6. common loon August 27, 2008 / 9:25 am

@ Joanne: YIPPEE for the 9th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!