Going for the Gold

One of the things that is very popular in the online knitting world is an activity called a knit-along — or KAL, for short. These vary widely in theme and duration, but the gist is that a group doing a KAL selects a project and participants try to complete it by a set deadline — while providing encouragement for one another.

I have never done a knit-along, mostly because deadlines stress me out. But this morning I decided to join the Ravelympics — an Olympic-themed KAL being run through Ravelry, the knitters’ social network and project management site. The rules are simple: cast on during or after the opening ceremonies and finish before the torch is extinguished. Everyone involved picks a team and event — or teams and events (dual citizenship and multiple skills are allowed). Since I was planning to start my skirt this weekend anyway, I thought it would be fun to see if I could get it done in the alloted 17 days. This makes my event “Synchronized Flirty Skirts” and I joined Team 51, which my friend sprite is running. (Props to those of you who can guess the meaning of our team name.)

I already have my swatching done, so I am good to go for tomorrow morning. Preparing ahead by swatching, by the way, isn’t cheating. Per the rules, it counts as “training.”

In honor of my team, I’ll see if I can find a go-go version of the Star Spangled Banner” for my medal ceremony. Wish me luck!

The photo is of my nephew playing peek-a-boo with my swatch.

– – –

Please forgive any typos, spelling errors, or wonky formatting — and the lack of links — in this post. It’s my first attempt at doing a full post from the WordPress iPhone application. Generally, I just use it for drafts and polish everything up nicely on the computer before I post. But I’m on the highway halfway between home and Mom’s house with no proper computer access.

16 thoughts on “Going for the Gold

1. common loon August 7, 2008 / 5:28 pm

Do tell about the team name!!!

Best of luck to you. Maybe you could get your picture on a Wheaties box if you “bring home the gold”?

2. sprite August 7, 2008 / 6:04 pm

Yay! I was so glad to see this morning that you’d decided to join us!

3. Joanne August 7, 2008 / 7:18 pm

Dude, you HATE the Olympics!

4. Sarah August 7, 2008 / 10:14 pm

No, Joanne, I don’t hate the Olympics. I just didn’t like having someone come into my dorm room and tell me that she was going to spend every day there for two weeks to watch the Olympics (whether I liked it or not) because I had cable and she didn’t. 😉

Ah, the good old days.

This KAL isn’t so much about the Olympics, anyway, as challenging myself to knit faster.

5. wendalicious August 7, 2008 / 10:40 pm

Ha! Joanne and the Olympics… 1992 Winter Games, if I remember correctly. Plopped on Sarah’s or my bed, telling us to shut up because she couldn’t hear the scores over our talking. Good times. Good times. 🙂

Good luck on the knit-along Sarah! I’m still quite envious, since I haven’t managed to get past the cast-on.

6. Joanne August 8, 2008 / 8:34 am

Yes, well, this time I’m going to watch the Olympics because I’m expecting a big train wreck. Should be fun to watch.

And you’ve told me you hated the Olympics many times.

7. Sarah August 8, 2008 / 9:07 am

I think hate might be too strong a word. I do think they tend to be boring and not worth the hype. I like the opening ceremonies, though — the parade of nations is always interesting. I am, however, most annoyed with NBC right now. Since they’re such ratings whores, they’re tape-delaying the opening ceremonies, while filling the Today show with the usual trite crap. Gah!

8. sionna August 8, 2008 / 10:59 am

I admit to indulging in Joanne’s Olympic obsession when it came to the figure skating. I admit it, I love it. I just can’t stand all of the filler. Blah, blah, blah.

Haha – I remember the ’92 games in Hines Hall too. I also remember getting shushed. 🙂 We do love you Joanne.

9. wendalicious August 8, 2008 / 8:16 pm

The Olympics were airing whilst you all were at the Formal that Dripped Blood. I remember sitting in my room feeling sorry for myself (wasn’t invited to the formal) watching Joanne watch the Olympics. I was NOT happy. But, to echo Sionna – we love you 🙂

And I just watched the drumming thing at the opening ceremony – it was a little disturbing seeing 2,008 people doing the exact same thing at the exact same time, in the exact same way. Gotta love Communism.