It’s August again, which means the return of my much-beloved half-day Fridays. I’m changing things up a bit this year, though, and not taking them all off, as I usually do — I just have too much going on.
I did take this past Friday off, though, which gave me a nice three-day weekend. I was a lot less lazy than I have been recently, which was a nice change of pace. Among other things, I:
- spent half a day at Ikea and came home with some much-needed additional shelving for my much-too-small kitchen. I also bought a slipcover for my couch, to hide the damage my bad, bad cat has done, but unfortunately, it didn’t fit, so I returned it.
- read an entire book, the much-anticipated Breaking Dawn. To my great disappointment, it pretty much sucked — and not in a good, vampire-book way. I didn’t care especially which boy Bella ended up with (since I kind of disliked them equally) so the actual outcome didn’t bother me. I was tremendously annoyed, however, by the fact that the author violated her self-created mythology in order to set in motion a most implausible happy ending.
- joined a group of friends for a Segway tour of DC. More on that later in the week…
- swatched for the skirt I’m planning to knit. Because it’s a big project, and I really want it to fit, I even laundered it before checking my gauge, which seems to be exactly what it should. (Translation: this means that, unless I screw up, the finished skirt should be the right size.) I’m excited to get started, because I think it is going to look excellent with my new shoes.
- tried out a new restaurant on H Street, Sticky Rice, with sprite. I thought the food was pretty tasty, but the service could use some work. We were in no hurry, so the fact that things were a bit slow wasn’t a problem, but in the time we were there, two couples were seated, waited (and waited and waited) for service, and finally left in frustration.
What I didn’t do this weekend: clean. My apartment looks like a bomb exploded in it. Not cool. I really need to deal with it before I head out of town on Thursday…