Crisp, Rest, and Cheer

I had a hell of a time getting out of bed and on my way to work this morning, but I did it. And to pull me (and, perhaps, you) out of that Monday morning funk, here’s three beautiful things from the past week:

1. On Wednesday evening after work, I made a ridiculously tasty peach, blackberry, and ginger crisp, which I proceeded to eat for breakfast for the remainder of the week. Yum!

2. While being walked through the farm line at Eastern Market, a tiny black pug lies down and refuses to budge, his pink tongue lolling out of his mouth in exhaustion — doing exactly what we humans wish we could on a hot August morning.

3. The former station manager at Eastern Market, who is (in my opinion) the nicest in the entire Metro system, has returned after being gone for many months. Unlike most of the station managers, who rarely come out of their kiosks, and even more rarely speak without being spoken to, this man greets everyone, smiles, wishes you a good day, etc. I tend not to be the cheeriest person in the morning, but he really has a way of brightening up my commute.

21 thoughts on “Crisp, Rest, and Cheer

1. Mom August 4, 2008 / 12:05 pm

Three beautiful things, indeed, B U T: What we really all want to know is: DID YOU GET THE SHOES???? Is 13 comments on a post a record???

2. Joanne August 4, 2008 / 12:10 pm

Even I, on bedrest and not going to work, had a horrible Monday morning. I woke up angry at DH, and we bickered all morning. Mom took DD to day care, and then she returned to NJ. I have since discovered that DH has once again managed to totally miss his dentist’s appointment. I’m heading for divorce court, peeps. I can’t take it anymore.

3. Mom August 4, 2008 / 12:37 pm

@ Joanne — Poor you! I’ve done the bedrest thing and it is awful, particularly with kids in the house & life going on around you & you can’t do anything about it. Common Loon is there now too (leg surgery w/ 3 under 6). Now does that make you any feel better? Sending you an understanding hug — hope you are getting it. Mom “H”

4. Joanne August 4, 2008 / 2:15 pm

Thanks for the hug, Mom. Bedrest is absurd, frustrating and annoying. Seriously, this is so ridiculous. Especially since there is nothing wrong–this is just an overreaction to one bad measurement in one sonogram. I understand being careful, but I’m still frustrated.

CL, you must be going out of your head! Your husband has my sympathies. jesse is barely able to deal with one 3yo and the house–your husband must either be extremely competent or going out of his head!

5. common loon August 4, 2008 / 4:22 pm

Thanks, Aunt Mary!

@ Joanne: My husband is a DEAR and likely is going out of his head. There’s not much to do but be very grateful for all of his efforts. Our house is currently a sty (but it is still standing), meals are somewhat nutritious (I haven’t had to cook), and the kids clothes don’t match (at least their dressed…except for the middle child who spent a bit of time naked at a public pool b/c I couldn’t catch him and get his clothes back on). There are scientific studies that prove that it is not possible for men to multi-task like women.

I was on bedrest for 8 weeks with our 2nd…it was horrible. You have my sympathies!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe take up some of Sarah’s reading mojo as a distraction? Convince your husband that now is the time to get the coolest laptop or notebook available? Develop all of those digital photos you’ve always meant to get to but never had the time? Good luck!

6. Sarah August 4, 2008 / 5:02 pm

@ Mom – Of course I bought the shoes; I was powerless to resist them. And no, 13 comments isn’t a record. I think 19 is — and it was the discussion of whether or not I should get an iPhone. So, apparently, my annual need for one ridiculous luxury item sparks lots of chatter.

@ Joanne – Keeping my fingers crossed that, once you go back for your test next week that your restrictions get lifted. You’re a little to Type A for bedrest.

@ CL – Why am I not surprised that S was the one streaking at the pool? That boy is made of mischief! Hope your knee is feeling better — the photos are gross! (And look painful, too!)

7. common loon August 4, 2008 / 6:25 pm

Congrats on the shoes! They didn’t make your beautiful things list???

8. Sarah August 5, 2008 / 8:50 am

@ CL – I only ordered them. I don’t have them in my hands yet. When I do, I am thinking they’ll make the list.

9. Mom August 5, 2008 / 9:46 am

Maybe you could model them and take a picture of your feet!

NEXT DISCUSSION TOPIC — drum roll, please — Does one wear hose with a $285 pair of shoes or wear them bare??

10. Sarah August 5, 2008 / 11:04 am

Hah. Funny, Mom.

Can’t even tell you the last time I saw anyone wear hose, other than perhaps heavy tights in the wintertime, so it’s very unlikely I will ever wear hose with them, even though it will break your heart.

11. susan August 5, 2008 / 12:34 pm

Do they still make hose? They probably just make ’em for you Aunt Mary!!!!

12. Mom August 5, 2008 / 1:47 pm

Susan, you twit!!! 🙂 Frankly, I have not had a pair of pantyhose on since Eileen got married (6+ years). I loathe the things. I do cave in to knee-hi’s when I have to put shoes on in the winter that cover my toes 🙂 Sarah and Eileen & I go a LONG way back on a feud over wearing stockings to an old friend’s funeral — it was a ladylike/respect issue where ole Ma stood her ground with a beyond-livid teenage daughter who was rebelling! You’re getting there — surely your issue won’t be over “hose” but there will be some thing (or two or three or more) that you will put your foot down on! So, I jerked Sarah’s chain and you chimed in too. It is in our genes. Ha Ha!

13. Sarah August 5, 2008 / 2:12 pm

I’m no longer a rebellious teenager, but you’re still wrong. Pantyhose are just a meaningless piece of clothing and in no way connote either ladylike-ness or respect. Both of those would be exemplified by one’s behavior.

And that’s as far as I’m going on jumping on that particular piece of bait. 😉

14. Eileen August 5, 2008 / 2:27 pm

Really, isn’t it long past time to bury the bleeping hose, already?

15. Sarah August 5, 2008 / 2:29 pm

Hey, I didn’t bring it up.

16. sionna August 5, 2008 / 3:29 pm

Wow, even I know the PantyHose War story. Are you ladies gonna bicker about that again?? 😉

I admit to occassionally wearing a pair of totally sheer stockings (not hose!) in the wintertime if I have to waar one of my skirt suits to work but that’s rare. I’m a total pant-suit sort of girl.

Um, can you make me some of that crisp if and when I make it down there this fall? That sounds totally mouthwatering. I love me some delish fruit crisp. Pretty please? I’ll bring fudge fancies in trade.

I tried to make apple crisp once. Once. Never again. Baking deserts is not my forte.

17. Mom August 5, 2008 / 3:56 pm

Just wanted to stir things up a bit! Guess I succeeded 🙂

18. common loon August 5, 2008 / 4:40 pm

Man,am I out of it…unless it’s summer, I’ve been known to wear hose (keeps my belly and butt from out-sizing my chest). Now I just feel stinking OLD. Kind of takes the spring out of my step, which got much more springy since I’ve been “released” from my leg immoblizer at 1 CST today. Guess this is one more reason why I’ve been threatened with “I’m submitting your name to ‘What Not To Wear’.” Agh!

19. susan August 5, 2008 / 7:33 pm

My kneecaps outsize my chest…so I tossed the hose and go for socks hidden by very stylish boots :-). And thanks AM…I havent been called a twit in AGES!!!

20. Sionna August 5, 2008 / 8:46 pm

Breaking Sarah’s all-time post record! #20!

Heh, heh. Twit. Heh.

Love the new header and can’t wait to see the shoes!

(Just making this a legitimate post as opposed to “Here! #20!”).

21. Joanne August 6, 2008 / 8:58 am

Pantyhose are a tool of the Man to keep women oppressed. That’s all I’m saying.