My Hometown Does Offer More than Bad Weather

Generally, the only time Binghamton makes headlines is when there is a notable run of bad weather — absurd amounts of snow or nearly Biblical levels of flooding. (A friend who made it through 2006’s deluge said that he only realized they weren’t hopelessly screwed when CNN sent a reporter other than Anderson Cooper.)

So, I was very excited to open my RSS feeds today and find this headline: Spiedie Fest This Weekend in Upstate New York. Unfortunately, I’m not heading home until next weekend, so I’ll miss the big event, but you can bet I’ll be feasting on spiedies at some point (or points) during my visit.

Now, I suppose that Serious Eats is technically not as fancy as being on CNN, but I’ll take good news about the Southern Tier wherever I can get it.

8 thoughts on “My Hometown Does Offer More than Bad Weather

1. Mom August 1, 2008 / 3:09 pm

Would you like lamb or chicken spiedies??? I’ll have my eyes and camera to the sky for the balloon launches. One of my best times was 3-4 Augusts ago when Bri was up here & we went on a “chace” over the southside hills as some balloons made it & some didn’t and we were up close & personal to them — spectacular. If I get some good shots, I’ll send you some to post 🙂

2. common loon August 1, 2008 / 5:52 pm

oooooooooh, spiedies!!! yummy yummy yummy…nothin’ like that ’round here (sigh).

Hope your Mom has some fun and gets some good shots (WITHOUT INJURY, please!)

3. Eileen August 1, 2008 / 10:11 pm

@CL Excellent news…you can order real authentic speedie sauce on line (and it isn’t even crazy expensive)…I had some shipped earlier this year (with restrictions on liquid on airlines, it was just easier to pay the shipping)…here is the website http://www.citymade.com/MadeInSyracuse/

Hope you can make good use of it.

And if you are looking for good BBQ, one of upstate NY favorites is Brook’s…they too ship, here is their site http://www.brooksbbq.com/store/index.php

Bon appetite!

4. Eileen August 1, 2008 / 10:16 pm

WTF…I just posted a comment (without logging in – I don’t often log in unless I am actually writing the post) and it is waiting for moderation…and then I logged in (so I could approve my own comment) and it won’t let me approve it either. WordPress, you are now officially on my bad side!

5. Eileen August 1, 2008 / 10:18 pm

So I just copied my original pre-logged in post and here it is…censors be damned!

Hope you can make good use of it.

Bon appetite!

BTW, if you care, you can tell logged in vs. not because my eyeball only shows up when I’m logged in.

6. Sarah August 1, 2008 / 10:33 pm

OK, that’s funny — WordPress just got really mad at you and held your second comment for review, too.

I think that, every now and again, WP must refresh the database of users in some way, because I’ll get approval requests from people I know have posted before and therefore should be exempt. And, actually, I think it held the second comment because it was a duplicate, which is often a sign of spam.

Oh, and Mom… do I have to choose between lamb and chicken? I want both. 🙂

7. Eileen August 1, 2008 / 10:51 pm

I know it held the second one and I was just too pissed to do anything about it…thought about calling you but in case you were having an early night (or a wild night) decided against it. Thanks for approving me and POX on WordPress!

8. Sarah August 1, 2008 / 11:09 pm

Really, the occasional moderation glitch beats the hell out of comment spam, so I’m fine with it. Just grin and bear it, sis.