Late, and More than Three

Because I was en route back from Albany — and up to my eyeballs in reading — I missed writing my three beautiful things post last Monday. So, that means this week will be a special double issue. Magazines do this periodically, so I can too, right? I do have a feeling that, as I start writing this out, my mini-vacation may take up more than half the items in the list, but I can live with that.

(And yeah, I started writing this yesterday but didn’t finish. Sigh.)

1. Linc & Michele’s party was even more fun than I had expected it would be. I had a great time catching up with friends — and, in many cases, meeting their kids. Not to be overly dramatic (Me? Never!), it was everything I wanted in my college reunion, but I knew my school function wouldn’t provide. I am so glad I went.

2. At one point during the day, my friend Dan’s five-year-old son put his hands in his pockets, leaned back on his heels, cocked his head to the side, and assessed the situation around him — in exactly the way I’d seen his father do countless times. The ways kids can be perfect replicas of their parents, while somehow also being absolutely unique, never ceases to amaze me.

3. Wendy confessed that her snarky comments here on the blog about my knitting stemmed from the fact that she was jealous that I could knit and she can not. I reacted to this is the only way I knew how — with a trip to the yarn store! I started to teach her at the picnic, and it quickly became a joint lesson, when out friend Stephen announced that he wanted to learn, too. The drinking and catching up soon overwhelmed us, so it wasn’t much of a lesson, but I was so excited to have them want to learn.

4. On Sunday, Sionna‘s husband took me on my annual ride on his Harley. I am way too chicken-shit to ever drive a motorcycle on my own, but I do love riding along on the back, watching everything speed by. The scenery around their house is just lovely — rolling hills and little lakes — and so makes for a perfect afternoon ride.

5. Saturday morning, while I watched Sponge Bob with her daughter, Sionna went outside and picked me fresh blackberries off the bushes in her yard. Delicious!

Hmm… Looks like I’ve gotten nearly to the end of my list and I’ve only covered my weekend in Albany. And I think number six explains why:

6. I got lost in a book, and then another, and then a third. It’s been a long time since this has happened, and feeling that urge to drop everything and read was beautiful. I’d forgotten how much I missed it.

7 thoughts on “Late, and More than Three

1. common loon July 15, 2008 / 8:51 am

Yeah Sarah! Sounds absolutely wonderful!!! We love motorcycles, but have an agreement that we will never ride together, as it is so much fun we are confident we would wreck. And in our limited experience, afternoon rides are the best.

2. Mom July 15, 2008 / 10:20 am

You didn’t mention a Harley ride to me on Sunday!!! I might have asked to go too…..rode once a long time ago/behind someone/hanging on for dear life. Loved it 🙂

3. sprite July 15, 2008 / 10:29 am

What a bounty of beauty!

And I have a friend with a daughter who gives looks just like he did back in college, too. Isn’t it eerie?

Congratulations on finding your reading mojo. We knew it had to be hiding somewhere; who knew it was with the vampires?

PS: I love your mom.

4. wendalicious July 15, 2008 / 8:42 pm

Sarah,
    I just want you to know that I have been studying…I went to the knitting website you recommended, and I’ve been practicing the “long tail cast on”. I think I’ve mastered it. Now, I have no idea what to do.

But, since I won’t have a spare moment until the week after next, I fear that the knitting education will have to wait.

Too bad…I was hoping I’d have something to do on the plane down to Baltimore next Monday…

5. Sarah July 16, 2008 / 12:46 pm

@ Common Loon – I’m not surprised you and the DH like motorcycles, given your past careers. They’re not as fast as planes, but much cheaper!

@ Mom – Is that really you? Not exactly the “YOU DID WHAT?” response I was expecting.

@ sprite – Yeah, my mom rocks. And as noted above, still manages to surprise me every now and again.

@ Wendalicious – Not to worry, I’ll make sure you’re all set to knit the whole way home.

6. sionna July 16, 2008 / 1:32 pm

Um yeah…about that Harley ride.

It occured to me much later on that I should have promptly left you to babysit my kid while I took a ride afterwards.

I neeeever get to go for a ride unless we have scheduled a babysitter days or weeks in advance. And even then Mother Nature has been known to scuttle our best laid plans.

(pout)

And I’ll second that….Mom?? Really? Color me slightly surprised. 😉

7. Mom July 17, 2008 / 10:17 am

Sarah — Fran tells me from a ride a couple of years ago with her x-son-in-law that bi-focals bounce!! 🙂 So, you really can’t see too much. Guess I’ll have to settle for the memory of the old thrill … glad I can still surprise/shock you ladies once in a while….