No, My Plane Didn’t Crash

And I didn’t run away from home. I’m here, I’ve just been reading, rather than writing, since I got back from Albany. It’s all sionna’s fault, actually. On Sunday night she handed me a gigantic book called Twilight and said I might like it. I’d heard about Twilight on NPR; it’s the first of a young-adult series that apparently inspires Harry Potter-like devotion — and costumery — amongst its fans. I’d been a bit put off by the squealing teenage girls I’d heard on NPR, but if sionna liked it, I was willing to give it a try.

Just over 48 hours and about 1,200 pages later, it’s safe to say I like the books. (I bought the second book in the series on my way home from the airport on Monday and the third on my way home from work yesterday.) Since I’ve still been struggling with a lack of reading mojo that I wrote about last year, I’m kind of excited to have had my nose in a book pretty much every moment I haven’t been working or sleeping since Sunday night.

My only question is, why is it only books for kids/teens that keep my interest these days?

13 thoughts on “No, My Plane Didn’t Crash

1. Mom July 9, 2008 / 9:46 am

So, that’s what your ‘doin 🙂 I’d say you found three beautiful things! Nothing wrong with a book fest in the dog days of summer…. page turning does not generally make one crystalize.

2. Eileen July 9, 2008 / 10:03 am

welcome back to the land of the living.

Besides a really fun 4th (we hung at the pool all day, had a fun pot luck with two couple friends, and watched three fireworks displays) we haven’t been up to much worth reporting.

Good tip for the new books.

TTYL

3. Sarah July 9, 2008 / 10:18 am

I wouldn’t count me as back to the land of the living yet. I still have the 3rd book to finish, and then I have to try to get my book club selection read by Sunday. Not sure that’s gonna happen.

4. Sionna July 9, 2008 / 10:28 am

Oh okay, throw the rotten tomatoes at me for keeping Sarah away from her blog. 😉 I can take the grief.

Sarah also offered to bring Books 2 and 3 up for me to read….in September. Uh, no. I can’t wait that long to see what happens with Bella and Edward.

And as for Three Beautiful Things, here are my suggestions:

1). Seeing long lost friends again. Worth.every.penny.of.your.plane.ticket.

2). Convincing Wendy to start knitting. I think you were giddy over the prospect. Sarah=Giddy? Yep, I saw it.

3). Getting your book mojo back, despite it being at the expense of the blog. I hope all of your loyal readers will accept my humble apologies. Happy reading!

And my 4th…having you in my house for 4.5 days after not seeing you for almost a year. It was a beautiful thing. Can’t wait to have you back here in September for Irish 2000.

5. Sionna July 9, 2008 / 10:30 am

Oh for crying out loud!!

Can you fix that when you get a chance? I must have screwed up an HTML tag. 😦

From Sarah: Fixed!

6. Hillary July 9, 2008 / 2:18 pm

Those are my daughters favorite books! She and her buddies discuss them endlesslt and her copies are all full of post-it’s that are not to be removed.

7. common loon July 9, 2008 / 10:01 pm

Welcome back! DH & I each bought one book (fiction, no self-help / education / study / parenting / etc.) to read by Labor Day 2008. So far, he’s way ahead of me: he’s on page 3. Good for you, Sarah! Enjoy!

8. MsP July 10, 2008 / 4:37 pm

I heard that NPR story. Funny.

And if you saw the complete crap I’ve been reading lately? You wouldn’t be so embarrassed…

9. sionna July 12, 2008 / 10:33 pm

Gulp. It is now a movie too. It will be out in December. Looks pretty good actually.

(By the way, I have finished all three books now. Yawn…very tired now and anxiously awaiting Book 4 on August something-or-other)

We’ll catch up on our more sophisticated reading in the near future I’m sure. 😉