My DC: Making News

The satellite news truck is a fairly ubiquitous fixture on the streets of DC. Pretty much all those “inside the beltway” stories that crowd the evening newscast involve one or more of them. In fact, it becomes easy to gauge the importance of the news being made by the number of sat vans outside a venue.

This one was a biggie — Hillary Clinton’s concession to Barack Obama a few weeks back. The trucks took up the entire block.

Making News

(The National Building Museum — which is behind the line of trucks — is one of my favorite places in DC. One of these days I’ll have to go be touristy and take some pictures for a future My DC post.)

***

Looking for more β€œMy DC” photos? Hillary, sprite, randomduck, and MsP are all sharing their views of day-to-day life here in our nation’s capital.

15 thoughts on “My DC: Making News

1. sionna June 27, 2008 / 12:38 pm

I still want to see that museum.

When I come down in October to see the new Baby Pu (that’s the plan at the moment), you can take me to the museum as my offical DC Resident Escort so that you won’t have to pretend to be a….gasp!!….tourist.

Sound like a plan?

I wish I had taken a picture of the Capitol in Albany when Spitzer had his fall from grace earlier this year. We’re not used to the media crush like you guys are. I hear the number of media trucks went around the entire block of the Capitol. No small feat indeed.

2. Mom June 27, 2008 / 1:24 pm

What a way to obscure the facade of a beautiful building!
    I’ll be the White House got similar coverage as the Capital in Albany during the Ms. Monica scandal. πŸ™‚

3. Mom June 27, 2008 / 1:33 pm

BTW, Ladies: Capital — with an “al” — is a seat of government anywhere. Capitol — with the “ol” — is the seat of the federal government of the U.S. (per my thesaurus — I just had to check). It didn’t look right πŸ™‚

4. Sarah June 27, 2008 / 1:49 pm

@ Mom – Whoops; you caught my bad editing! Sionna, immediately upon posting, noticed she had “capital” where she wanted “capitol” and asked me to fix it, but I didn’t notice she’d used it twice, so I only fixed one. It’s all better now!

For the record, though, capitol with an “o” is a building, capital with an “a” is a place; you work in the capitol building, you live in the capital city. This holds true for federal or state capitols and capitals. (Believe me — I work in a joint full of building nuts and policy wonks; this is part of the everyday around here.)

Oh, and for the ML scandal, the sat vans were all at the Mayflower hotel, where she was staying. They have permanent hookups at the White House, so no need for trucks there. Apparently, there were so many truckloads of media at the hotel, though, that the PR folks had the kitchen make tons and tons of brownies for them. (We used to have the recipe on the site for the Old Job — I didn’t actually follow things that closely.)

5. Mom June 27, 2008 / 2:42 pm

Do hope no offense was taken/none intended!! That word too (to) ranks right up there (their) with the words in parenthesis. Did you get some of your word “nuttiness” from me perhaps??

6. Sionna June 27, 2008 / 2:53 pm

We use the term “capital funding” A LOT at our office since that is our line of business…I attributed my faux pas to force of habit and sheer exhaustion (long week). I immediately emailed Sarah with an “OMG! FIX IT! FIX IT!!”

How funny that we all picked up on it. Too bad that Sarah’s shoddy editing made my mistake even more glaring. (JUST KIDDING!)

To prove my intellect, here is my proper usage: “We have noticed an increase in capital spending going into the current renovation of the Capitol Building in Albany in recent years.” πŸ˜‰

7. Mom June 27, 2008 / 2:57 pm

Can’t be we’re all that tired if we were sharp enough to pick up on this. It’s just fun to banter back & forth with my girls once in a while! Have a good weekend. TGIF!

8. Sarah June 27, 2008 / 3:14 pm

Not to split hairs, Sionna, but “Capitol Building” is not a proper noun, and therefore shouldn’t be capitalized. (What can I say, you mock my editing, so you get more of it.) πŸ˜‰

9. Sionna June 27, 2008 / 3:46 pm

Touche mon amie!

10. Eileen June 27, 2008 / 4:20 pm

Good to know you are all working hard this Friday πŸ™‚

11. common loon June 27, 2008 / 7:08 pm

Oh my! You all need to spend more time “house-bound” with toddlers to siphon off all of that extra brain usage you have going on…level the family playing field, give me a chance. At least I’m not succombing to expletives (yet). HAPPY WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Sarah June 27, 2008 / 7:34 pm

Heh… For me it’s just stress relief/procrastination. I am swamped at work but keep distracting myself futzing around on the blog. (It’s 7:34 on Friday and I am still here.)

13. Mom June 27, 2008 / 8:06 pm

UGH!! 7:59 here and I’ve dusted & vacuumed so I don’t have to do it tomorrow! Yeah, the blog IS stress relief and putting off the next project for a few mins! Sorry, CL. You can’t put off anything in your world! HUGS to you — I KNOW you have the toughest world. -m

14. sionna June 27, 2008 / 8:32 pm

Yeah I was supposed to be out of work by 4:30 and I got out of the office by the skin of my teeth around 5:30. (Sarah – time to go home Girlfriend!!!)

The blog fun was a nice distraction because I was SWAMPED!!!!!

Now I have a house full of kids and can appreciate Loon’s comments. πŸ˜‰

15. Hillary June 30, 2008 / 3:36 pm

I love that museum. My lucky little girl is going to camp there later this summer and I plan to carry my camera when I drop her off and pick her up so that i can get some really good pictures of it. I love that place!