Such a Rookie Error

Some days I hate the Internet. Like today.

I have an account on LinkedIn, a professional social networking site. I’d gotten a few connection invitations over the past couple of weeks, so I decided to log into my account and accept them. While I was there, I made the (foolhardy, I now know) choice to see if there were other people I knew using the site, using the feature where it compares your email address book to the LinkedIn user database. I found about 10 people I know who have LinkedIn accounts, but I somehow hit the wrong button and instead sent a “join me on LinkedIn” email by mistake — to my entire address book. And gmail saves every. single. address. So if I RSVP’d to an event, that’s in there. If I used “reply all” and there were strangers on the message, they’re in there. Ack!

This happened an hour ago and I am still blushing. It’s that embarrassing.

I blame my headache (which is, actually, quite severe). It must be the pounding in my brain that caused me to make such an amateur mistake. I work on the web for a living, for heaven’s sake. I manage social networking for my organization. I ought to be able to figure out how not to spam 200 people.

Updated to add: Adding insult to injury, I just realized that the “whoops, sorry” email I sent had a nice, big grammatical error. Lovely. A spammer with a tenuous grasp of the English language — that’s me!

Lesson: After 800 mg of ibuprofen, step away from the computer.

11 thoughts on “Such a Rookie Error

1. Marlene May 21, 2008 / 6:57 pm

If it’s ant consolation I had to actually go back to your email to find the error. I didn’t even notice it the first time around so maybe most others won’t notice it either.

2. Mom May 21, 2008 / 7:09 pm

Oops NO BIGGIE. We are all too tired to pay any attention to typos. Hugging you, have a glass of wine or two and go to bed. Love you, Mom

3. Eileen May 21, 2008 / 7:19 pm

Ma…No wine with 800mg of ibuprofen! Plus the wine will add to the headache not detract!

Go home, go to bed. Do not pass go.

Hugs!

PS. If you didn’t tell us 90 percent of us are too dumb to know a typo when we see it.

4. wendalicious May 21, 2008 / 9:20 pm

Honestly, Sarah, I never even noticed. Heck, I never even gave it a second thought that you sent the LinkedIn invite – I don’t think I even received it – did I?

I think you need to take Eileen’s advice, and don’t worry about it. At least you weren’t sending spam with offers of Penile Enhancement Apparati.

-w

5. Joanne May 21, 2008 / 10:16 pm

I didn’t receive an invitation–maybe because I’m already in your LinkedIn network? But guess who I did get an invite from? Justyn! Whee!

6. susan May 22, 2008 / 6:03 am

Now I have a headache…I didnt get the invite (yes, offended!! 🙂 ) ….and I feel like an absolute moron ‘cuz I can’t find the typo. Somebody help…cuz I am a teacher and am apparently unqualified! So, the good news is…you are smarter then me. Bad news is…that may not be very smart 🙂

7. susan May 22, 2008 / 6:35 am

OOPS…smarter THAN me…do you feel better yet?????

8. Sarah May 22, 2008 / 11:25 am

It’s very puzzling, because apparently not everyone go the invitation, contrary to what I originally thought — though lots and lots of people did. I can’t put my finger on why some people were skipped and others not. I heard from another friend this morning, though, that she had the exact same problem I did, so methinks something might be a bit amiss with the way LinkedIn does their invitations.

The goof in the email was just an incorrect verb tense — “I mistakenly seemed to have sent…” rather than ” I mistakenly seem to have sent…” Not a huge or glaring error, and one it looks like no one would have noticed if I hadn’t mentioned it. But in my weakened, already-embarrassed state last night it seemed like a huge mistake.

9. MsP May 22, 2008 / 12:00 pm

Hee hee. And what’s also funny is that you’re, like, the third person I know who’s done that. All on LinkedIn. So I would totally blame the website. Goddamn counterintuitive inelegant website.

10. Mom May 22, 2008 / 12:04 pm

Well, do hope your head is better and that your day is likewise. I do so like MsP’s style — she too “says it like it is” 🙂

11. Common Loon May 22, 2008 / 5:15 pm

b/c my life is sooooo stay-at-home…I rejoiced when I got an invite, considered joining despite Sarah’s request to ignore her, AND noticed that Sarah’s email did not read like it normally does (but COULD NOT figure it out – my pea brain). So, glad to know you’re human and I really hope that your head recovered much quicker than your pride (I concur w/ everyone else: blame the website!).