Early-Summer Deliciousness

Early-Summer DeliciousnessOne of my favorite things about summer is that fresh fruit — really fresh, not flown-in-from-Chile fresh — is readily available. I love berries in particular, so I was excited to see local (Maryland) strawberries for the the first time at Eastern Market on Saturday. I ate some for dessert last night, and decided to save the rest for breakfast.

This morning, I decided to turn the remaining strawberries into muffins. A quick search online produces this recipe, which I had to alter only slightly to accommodate fresh fruit. Obviously, I replaced the frozen fruit with fresh, but I also tweaked the preparation by combining half the sugar with the sliced strawberries to make them juice a bit, so that I’d achieve that “undrained” quality called for in the recipe. I also used olive oil rather than vegetable oil, just because it seems a bit healthier.

They came out really well and are very tasty — especially with the strawberry butter suggested in the recipe. I guess my muffin cups are a bit smaller than average, though, because I ended up with 18 and not 14 as the recipe indicated. So, I think my freezer will have a supply of muffins for a while. Yum!

7 thoughts on “Early-Summer Deliciousness

1. sprite May 19, 2008 / 12:23 am

::jealous!!::

2. Mom May 19, 2008 / 7:10 am

Boy, so ambitious for a Monday morning!! My mouth is watering 🙂 What a way to start your day………..

3. Eileen May 19, 2008 / 7:26 am

I was about to applaud your Monday morning ambitiousness (no offense, but how un-Sarah-like) when I realized your post was written yesterday. But forgetting when it was written, girl those look so yummie!!! I happen to have some strawberries in my fridge (albeit from California) so I may try some myself…so we can enjoy the experience from DC to Texas 🙂

4. sionna May 19, 2008 / 10:02 am

Mmmm…think those would travel to New York? 😉

We’re still about a couple of weeks (month?) before we start seeing any fresh fruit up here. We should have June strawberries soon hopefully.

5. sionna May 19, 2008 / 10:05 am

Yay, my icon is there! You were right – I had to log in to get my personal icon to pop up.

Yeah, I know it’s Dory from Nemo. I think we have a lovable absent-mindedness quality in common. 🙂

6. Common Loon May 19, 2008 / 2:22 pm

freezer? those would be gone in a sitting ’round here! enjoy!