About the Name, a Year Later

I’m going to let you in on a little secret: I don’t like the name of my blog. Maybe this isn’t that much of a revelation; I haven’t been happy about it almost from the beginning, and have complained about it off and on to those of you I know outside the blogosphere.

Of course, I have no one to blame for this but myself, since I am the one who named it. And as I wrote shortly after I launched (in response to a handful of WTF? emails from friends) it was in tribute to the nickname my father called me when I was little. And given that I started the blog less than two weeks after his death, it isn’t all that surprising that I went in that direction for a name.

There are a few reasons why I wish I had called the blog something else. I’ve realized that I am not especially comfortable with other people calling me Sweetpea, which is why I never correct anyone or make edits when someone slips and calls me Sarah. I also find the name “Sweetpea’s Garden” to be almost irredeemably hokey. I honestly can’t believe I came up with it. And, finally, it just doesn’t suit me. You’d have to be running really, really low in your big box of adjectives to pull out “sweet” to describe me.

I’ve done some poking around, and — much to my relief — it looks like I won’t need to start from scratch if I want a new blog name. All I need to do is buy my own URL and WordPress will set up re-directs for it, so all the old links and stuff will still work. This doesn’t seem like a bad option.

Now, all I need to do is think of a new name, but I am coming up blank. Any suggestions?

20 thoughts on “About the Name, a Year Later

1. Dan April 30, 2008 / 2:34 pm

Suggestions:

Sarah H’s DC Townhouse of Blossoms

This Blog Does Not Have A Goofy Name
    (Taken from your linked post about the blog’s name)

I fed random keywords from your category names into a name generator and came up with:

Atomic Cupcake
    Dreamy Legion of the Garden Aesthete
    Garden of the Eleventh
    Friendly Sarah’s Knitting Sauce
    Smooth Queen’s DC Camp
    Step-Sister of the Three Beautiful Things Papaya
    The Essential Lamp

I trust this was helpful.

2. Brian April 30, 2008 / 3:07 pm

“coming up blank”

3. Sweetpea April 30, 2008 / 3:54 pm

Dan! Holy crap! How long have you been lurking around here? And how the he’ll are you?

I can’t tell you why, but “Atomic Cupcake” is kinda speaking to me.

4. Susan April 30, 2008 / 5:00 pm

Cuz cupcakes arent sweet at all….right???? I

5. randomduck April 30, 2008 / 5:05 pm

Since I don’t go by “randomduck” in day-to-day life – and am uncertain whether I’d respond to that name if called by it – I can understand why the name of the blog is wearing thin on you.

So names? Names! Names?!?!

So…. many…. options…..

You could always go with anagrams of the current blog name:

Degenerate Wasps
    Spawned Steerage
    Sewer Pest Agenda
    Seaward Gene Pets
    Grandpa’s Wee Tees
    Panda Greets Ewes
    Pews Need Teargas
    Gents’ Ewes’ Parade

Perhaps not, eh? Let’s see then – other things that would work:

More anagrams, this time of things you like:

Repenting Stinks
    Tin King Presents
    Enter King’s Pints
    (the previous three being anagrams of “knit springsteen”)

Brackish Nature
    Archaist Bunker
    (these being anagrams of “knit bruce sarah”)

Obscurity Thinker
    (this is an anagram of “knit bruce history”)

And then some from thin air:

A Beer and a Stitch
    Triangular Thoughts
    Preserving the Real Things
    A Hoppy Yarn Shanty

And I agree about “Atomic Cupcake” – it’s a good name!

6. Mom April 30, 2008 / 7:21 pm

GOOD GRIEF! I really don’t believe that “Atomic Cupcake” struck me this afternoon too!! But, IT DID and I hesitated to respond. 🙂 🙂 Off to TX at 6 a.m. — call you from there. Hugs, Mom

7. rooniii April 30, 2008 / 11:59 pm

I know the feeling. Although I like “Off the Tops of My Head,” for a while I really regretted not going with “Bloggerooney.”

And I also cast a vote for Atomic Cupcake. That’s just too cool.

8. Common Loon May 1, 2008 / 8:14 am

Please tell me that randomduck has an anagram generator and that the amazing compilation is not just the reflection of 30 seconds worth of thought!

9. sionna May 1, 2008 / 9:51 am

I’m on board with Atomic Cupcake. I can’t think of anything cooler than that.

10. randomduck May 1, 2008 / 11:28 am

@Common Loon: anagram generator. With all the allergy medication I’m on these days, the brain isn’t quite up to a quick anagram challenge of such magnitude.

11. Vicki May 3, 2008 / 1:28 pm

I’m partial to a beer and a stitch.
    Smiles
    Vicki

12. wendalicious May 6, 2008 / 11:11 pm

Vocabulary Girl?

13. Hillary May 8, 2008 / 3:08 pm

Too funny. I hate my blog name too but my dad always liked it so i kept it.(tribute to his mother and all that) The last time i said I wanted to change it my sister vetod the change for the same reason. I still don’t like it though because it’s not really me.

14. Eve June 16, 2008 / 6:08 pm

lol @ Atomic Cupcake! My pseudonym at my undergrad newspaper was Caustic Muffin. I like you already.

15. Pingback: sprite writes