This Post Isn’t Really About Anything

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised by this, but it’s proving difficult to get back in the swing of blogging after my month-long break. Perhaps if I had spent my time on vacation in an exotic locale and had a wide variety of colorful experiences to share, it would be easier. The mundane reality — that I spent February cultivating a closer relationship with my computer — does not make for much in the way of scintillating storytelling, unless tales of sciatica and other repetitive-stress injuries are considered thrilling.

There’s not a lot to report in my immediate post-launch world, either. I spent the weekend alternately vegging out and cleaning my apartment, which is much improved for the effort. (Much as I wish I was the sort of housekeeper my mother raised me to be — the kind who tidies things daily and always puts the clothes in the hamper and the dishes in the dishwasher — I am, emphatically, not.) It will probably take another weekend’s work to really get it back to completely clean, but reversing four weeks worth of mess in only two weekends is impressive, right?

I’ll do my best to start being a bit more observant of life around me so as to start crafting interesting posts again soon; bear with me in the meantime. And if you didn’t find me particularly enchanting before and therefore are wondering what crap I’ll come up with next, please don’t tell me.

7 thoughts on “This Post Isn’t Really About Anything

1. Mom March 4, 2008 / 2:04 pm

Your posts are ALWAYS interesting 🙂 — Where do you go from here now that the new site is up & running? Do you also maintain/change it, or is that someone elses job? It is interesting about your housekeeping comments/traits. I’ve tried to be more like you in the past year and find I CAN’T do it. Why, I don’t know because surely a phantom does not come in & catch it messy and no one gets in unless I let them in. I’ve managed to let the dishes go a couple of days but that’s about it; bed made every day; clothes picked up, laundry done, etc etc. Is there help for me, Dear Sweetpea??

2. Sweetpea March 4, 2008 / 2:44 pm

Ma… Of course you find even my dull things interesting. You’re my mother — it’s part of the job description. Not everyone else is likely to be so enthralled.

I have no advice to offer on how to become more of a messy person. As you might have noticed over your many years of raising me, I was always something of a natural in that regard. You’ll be happy to know that I do, in fact, make my bed every day, though that has little to do with wanting to be neat and everything to do with the fact that I can’t stand it when the cats track their damned litter into the bed.

3. Sweetpea March 4, 2008 / 3:09 pm

Oh, and for the “where do I go from here” question, the launch is just the end of the beginning — the website is by no means finished. There is already a three-page post-launch punch list, from tiny tweaks to massive enhancements. It’s daunting, but it keeps me employed.

4. Shannon March 4, 2008 / 3:11 pm

Too many easy housekeeping jokes to make at my own expense so I’ll just skip that. 😉 (Insert your own Shannon-is-a-slob insult here)

I find that creating interesting things/observations to talk about come most easily when they are least expected. Purposely looking for them makes it harder. Does that make sense?

I happen to think that you are most interesting (and being a best friend…that is not just part of the job description either!) because you are intelligent, witty and have an outside-the-box approach to many things.

You’re just having a cathartic cycle post-launch. Give yourself some time to decompress. We will wait patiently.

5. Joanne March 4, 2008 / 7:28 pm

People, its officially OKAY to be a slob:

immune systems on the attack

We as a society have officially become too clean. Embrace your slovenliness. Enjoy your squalor. You could be curing many diseases!

It works for me, anyway.

(I actually give the hygiene hypothesis a lot credence, and obviously with Joe’s condition, I’m very interested in this.)

6. Sweetpea March 5, 2008 / 10:47 am

Oh, ugh.

“Still others have patients with MS, colitis and related ailments swallow harmless parasitic worms to try to calm their bodies’ misdirected defenses.”

Keeping my place a mess in order to expose myself to germs seems much easier than that.

7. Joanne March 5, 2008 / 8:59 pm

see?? my point.

although I would swallow the worms in a heartbeat. They come in a capsule, its not you’re eating them directly.