At Least it Will be Quick

Courtesy of the City Desk blog from the Washington City Paper (think Metroland, Albany-area friends) I now know that I am hopelessly screwed in the event of a nuclear attack.

The map mashup uses the center of the Mall as the detonation point, leaving both my home and office in the possibly-survivable 2 psi “severe damage” ring, whereas DC’s more likely targets would leave me, well, pretty much toast. If the White House area were hit, my office would be solidly in the 15 psi “complete destruction of reinforced concrete structures” arena, while a hit to the Capitol would have my apartment right at the leading edge of the 5 psi “Complete destruction of ordinary houses” realm. And given that, structurally, my apartment is slightly less than normal, well…

All this is fine with me. I saw The Day After. I don’t want to live through that shit, no thank you.

(Sorry, Mom. I am sure this is probably upsetting to you. I don’t know why, but I just think it’s really funny — probably because it seems so damned unlikely.)

8 thoughts on “At Least it Will be Quick

1. Joanne January 2, 2008 / 6:43 pm

what, seriously? they did this story? Awesome. I totally have to go read it.

Mom, relax. The scenario that is most likely is a dirty bomb, which wouldn’t have anywhere near this impact–it probably would only affect a few blocks. And since the terrorists would probably strike during work in an attempt to get the most casualties, Sweetpea would be away from high priority targets. She’ll survive.

(BTW, none of this information came from my work. Its just stuff I’ve read and thought about on my own. So no one freak out that the govt is endorsing this scenario, ‘kay?)

2. Joanne January 2, 2008 / 6:44 pm

Woohoo, my office is out of the 1 psi ring. I survive. Hooray. I’ll just die of horrible cancers.

3. wendalicious January 2, 2008 / 10:00 pm

Happy New Year, everyone.

4. Snapdragon January 2, 2008 / 11:36 pm

You people are sick — I mean before you ever get the horrible cancers — sick 🙂

And Mom, before you freak out, we all have a MUCH better chance of being highway squish long before dying by terrorist. Seriously…humor is necessary in our brave new world and we always have had a unique sense of humor!

And yes, Happy New Year to all.

5. randomduck January 3, 2008 / 10:51 am

I’ll make sure to stock up on marshmallows, then.

And beer – though I think we have that one covered.

6. Mom January 3, 2008 / 2:01 pm

Yeah, and I recall “Snappy” nearly died on the street where she lived — and then again in South Africa. I try not to even think about possibilities like that — some sicko was probably paid for coming up with those parameters 😦 (And I also agree that survival in the aftermath would probably be worse than the quick way.)

Stay healthy and be happy, one and all!

7. Shannon January 3, 2008 / 4:08 pm

Mmm – Happy thoughts for the New Year. 😉

8. Joanne January 3, 2008 / 7:33 pm

This is the lovely side effect of living in DC post 9/11. A certain fatalism about living in the #1 target of America. Yay!